System Hangs

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by lovelaptops, Nov 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hi all. It seems I am destined to return to the 2740 no matter what! Long story, I will spare you, but I am now demoing the 2740 vs. the Fujitsu T730, which I got for a steal on the Fujitsu eBay store. But that's not the point of this thread...

Whether with the 2740 or the Fujitsu, I have always experienced "freezes" or "hangs" while panning on the touchscreen. What happens is, I will pan down, say, a web page and suddenly it will stop dead and not respond to finger flicks. This lasts only a second or two, then the screen "hyperscrolls," as if to play catch up to the gestures it failed to respond to. I have tried removing processes that might cause this, especially those that do constant monitoring, thinking they may temporarily "hijack" the cpu or even the touch digitizer field, but nothing has helped consistently. There is apparently a Microsoft Hotfix to address this, but I found it of no benefit.

Anyone have the magic answer?

2. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did you downgrade the graphics card driver to the older version to stop the dithering? If so, that might be the cause of your problem. I had the same issue, at first i thought the system was running but the mouse was freezing but it turns out that the whole system was locking up. I did a clean install and installed everything again from scratch. As soon as i downgraded the driver this issue started.

Hope that helps, i did a system restore to the newer driver and all is well now...

3. lovelaptops

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I did downgrade the video driver to stop the dithering, but I'm quite sure the problem existed before I did that, and I have two Fujitsu tablets that do the same thing. Plus, there are similar problems reported of almost every model of tablet PC throughout forums, yet no reliable fixes.

Are you saying that after a clean install and use of the current Intel driver the hang ups stopped occurring? Is the dithering back?

Thanks.

4. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

lovelaptops,
    Is this only happening in IE? I experience similar issues with IE when scrolling either with my pen or mouse when docked. I have a sneaky feeling it is flash content related where the stupid high bandwidth adds need time to load as they appear on the screen freezing everything.

I also have this issue with PDFAnnotator when reading through a pdf ebook. The next page loads only when you scroll to it. The whole system hangs waiting the 1 to 1.5 seconds it takes to load it, then scrolls faster. Annoying.

5. shyam111

After a clean install and use of the current intel driver i stop getting hangups period.. I don't really use IE too much as i prefer chrome, but chrometouch doesn't hang at all. And yes, the dithering is back with the new intel driver, but its the lesser of the two evils, I would rather have the dithering and working pen input than nice gradients of colour and lose the ability to write on the screen for extended periods

6. lovelaptops

Hi, thanks for the idea. As it happens the only time I ever use IE is with a new or recovered machine to download Firefox - or for those rare occasions when you can't do a successful download (usually of MS software!) except via IE.

But since you are experiencing it with PDFAnnotator (that's not an MS program, is it?), it is the exception that proves the rule - it is a universal problem. Yes, it is annoying and no, I do not believe it defies solution, just that no one I have encountered has resolved it. I do find that if I go into task manager and disable as many services as seem to do constant monitoring, it gets better. For some reason, I can't locate all of these to delete in msconfig.

Is anyone aware of a tool that enables you to suspend all services that do constant monitoring and might be the cause of the annoying hangs?

7. lovelaptops

Hi,
    Somehow I missed your post earlier, but I decided to follow your advice and I received a double reward for doint so:

1) the touchscreen freeze/hangs stopped occurring
    2) the dithering did not return!

Would it make a difference if I have the Boe Hydis outdoor screen, I mean that the new driver would not cause the dithering? I just installed the older driver on faith (because I did not pay $1,700 for a computer with a first class color screen that produced dithering images! But there is no question, the newer drivers have all but ended the freezes and the images look just fine.

Thank you and +1 rep to you!

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I've seen the exact same thing in all of my fresh installs on all web browsers (only while, or just after loading a web web page though).

Then i got a ssd and the problem is completely gone. not only do my programs launch quick, the touch control is now perfect. I can scroll down the page instantly, absolutely no lag/ un-responsiveness with the ssd installed; just FYI the fresh install doesn't always fix it.

9. shyam111

it wasn't a clean install that solved the problem Agent 9. The long story of how I found the fix is as so:
    1) bought the tablet but it only came with 2gb of ram so i ordered 4 more
    2) To prepare the system for 6gb of ram I clean installed with x64bit pro
    3) Installed the drivers and such and noticed dithering with the graphics card drivers
    4) Downgraded the drivers and dithering went away
    5) noticed that windows would lock up, especially when performing cpu intensive tasks i.e. it occurred more frequently when inking in onenote
    6) i put that down to too little RAM initially, and didn't realise it was to do with the driver, i reinstalled windows and did the whole driver thing in a day so I didn't know what to put it down to.
    7) I installed the new RAM and the problem didn't go away, Initially I thought it was hardware but analysis of the system event viewer lead me to believe that a .dll file or something was missing perhaps a file which windows needed to access every million or so clock cycles but couldn't because the file was not there - causing a hang up.
    8) Initially thought it was improper windows installation, so i downloaded windows again and installed it.
    9) problem went away and i wasn't too bothered about the dithering but when i had some spare time i downloaded the old driver and installed it
    10) The dithering came back.

So that's the long winded way of how i discovered this problem and stumbled upon the solution. I wish HP would get their act together, no point having a beautiful IPS screen if you can't write more than a few lines on it before it locks up!

EDIT: point 10 should say the freezing not dithering, the dithering went away, but the freezing came back ONLY on the old driver, a system restore to the newer one fixed the issue

10. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

oops... I missed that :eek:

Well installing a ssd did fix the problems I was having, and I'm sure it would help your system run faster (it really is a boon for big things like system start up, to little things like the speed it can change screen orientation) And I'm running it on the Tm2.

And agreed, HP really needs to get their act together; if they want to remain a contender in the battle of Tablet PC's anyways (though I think they want to go into the "entertainment tablet" arena with their "web os" *sigh* )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.