Sync strategy for OneNote

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Thank you, I will test it today. This is why Microsoft feature you in their video. You are like the "code whisperer".

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

jnjroach likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Thanks again for the suggestion. I would never have found that command without your help, it isn't mentioned in the online help as an example.

This is what I did, for those that in the future will run into similar problems.

1. Open OneNote, turn off automatic sync.
    2. Close OneNote and wait for background processes to Close down.
    3. Select Run command and run OneNote.exe /safeboot
    4. Run the web OneNote app in IE or other browser.
    5. Check what sections are not available or incomplete.
    6. In OneNote open backup and select a section that hasn't been synced.
    7. In notebook create new section called Temp.
    8. In section click the read only section opened earlier (has the created date at the end of section name)
    9. Select all pages and chose copy then copy to Temp section and rename that section after deleting the section that didn't sync.

It is a bit of Craft, but at least you don't overwhelm the sync Engine and I check in the web app that all pages are available Before attacking a new section.

3. Kumabjorn

Back for Another rant, sorry.

I basically decided to delete the old notebook and recreate it from scratch. After each section I do a manual sync.
    The first section went fine. But it did take two days to sync a total of 25 pages. Those pages are now available on the web application as well as on other devices. So far, so good.

Then I added a second section with a total of 53 pages. We are now on the third day. Of those 28 pages have yet to sync. They ar not a block put spread out throughout the section with some (expected) bias towards the end. So this morning, I started up the sync process again, and despite sending some 600 MB upstream, not a single of those pages show up in the web application. That makes me wonder; What exactly does those 600 MB contain since it isn't any of the pages?
    The 53 page section takes up 89 MB in the backup folder. By now there is at least 6 GB upstream. For 89 MB. Am I the victim of some sort of OneNote virus? Does that exist? All my SP3 is doing for the last week is being connected to the net while the sync applet is running. Nothing else to interfere with the process other than an occasional check on the web application.