Sync strategy for OneNote

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by Kumabjorn, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I just decided to start a new research project. Began by scanning ten books into PDF and looking through them in Adobe Reader. This time I decided to use the print to OneNote feature. I now had a new notebook with ten sections and some 5,000 pages.
    I also want to use this notebook on my tablets, the reason I printed to OneNote is that inking in Adobe Reader is sub par. I have now been syncing for three days up to the cloud, but when I open the notebook on any of my tablets I still get error messages about this section is not available yet.
    How long should a sync like this take? Can I do anything to speed it up? Should I have done something differently from the start? (So I know hours to go about it the next time.)

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

2. cliffr39

cliffr39 Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, I don't think it should take that long. Perhaps it is too large of a file for Onedrive to store? See how big the Onenote files are. You may be able to toss those onto a USB drive and get them to the other computers that way.

3. Kumabjorn

I have now turned on my SP3 for three days and only running OneNote, during that time I have sent out almost 18 GB of data, yet only three of the twenty sections are available on any of the other devices. This can't be right. Is there any utility that can tell me what parts of the notebook is available on OneDrive?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

You can check what has been uploaded by going to the OneNote web app.

Still, there are limits on page size. I'd think with 5,000 pages you may need to break it up into more than 10 sections. I start to notice problems with much more than ~50 pages printed into a single onenote page. Getting it separated into 100 sections might be pretty tedious though.

For the books I've printed into OneNote they are generally textbooks and are nowhere near 5000 pages. I break them up by chapters and those are generally less than 50 pages per chapter. I ran into problems with a couple longer chapters in a book I scanned, but in a book that was a true PDF with real text (not images of text), I had no problem. Again though, the entire book was ~500 pages.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

I have 16 sections and 5,000 pages was a typo it should be 1,500 pages. I found the backup folder and the total size of those sections are a tad over 800 MB and during the last three days I have sent some 18 GB to OneDrive. I have a hard time getting those two numbers to add up. I know that it isn't a one for one exchange, but 20 times the amount?

Balbutio ergo sum

6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

800 MB should be doable. That happends to be the size of my "books" notebook which contains 3 books broken up into 40 sections (total).

Syncing my notebooks is often a chore though. It tends to require some fiddling/babysitting. If it has sent 18GB for a 800MB notebook, it sounds like something is wrong.

Once I had a problem syncing a notebook and it was because one of the pages was corrupted somehow and it prevented the whole notebook from syncing. I eventually narrowed it down (trial and error) to the single page which didn't appear to have anything wrong with it other than that it prevented syncing. I moved the page to another notebook and everything synced fine. I think the free flowing open container for everything that OneNote is makes the files pretty complex... resulting in some buggieness.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2015
    Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Another 5 GB today yet no change in the web version. Wonder how I can find the culprit? Hadn't thought about it before but the sync information dialog box didn't really inform the user of anything.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

Have you deleted your Office Cache? It sounds like it is attempting to upload over and over but is coming across some corruption. I would export your notebooks locally as backup then delete your Office Cache.

9. Kumabjorn

Oh dear Sir, would you care to be more specific?

Balbutio ergo sum

10. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

To delete the Cache from the "Run" Command:

Run the command "onenote.exe /safeboot" then choose Delete Notebook cache

To backup prior go to the File and Export...(this is a precaution)

Kumabjorn likes this.