Synaptics Touchpad Driver for TF810C Keyboard

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Schnabe, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

While trying to fix the nonfunctioning touchpad after resuming from sleep, I inadvertently uninstalled the Synaptics driver. I've tried downloading the latest driver from Synaptic's website, but it is not compatible with the touchpad on the TF810C (naturally). Does anyone know where I can get a replacement driver? The standard Windows 8 driver works, but I have lost multi-touch capabilities on the touchpad (such as pinch to zoom, or two finger swipe).

I know I could probably do a hard reset, but would rather not, since I'll loose all my installed programs.

I don't know if the Samsung 500T or the Lenovo use Synaptics. Anyone know?

Thanks for the help.

2. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

As an update, I found some Synaptics drivers on the HP website for the Envy X2. They installed fine (I had to do it manually through the control panel and update driver on the touchpad device.)

The problem is I do not have multi-touch on the touchpad. Can someone confirm that the stock drivers provide multi-touch on the touchpad (such as pinch to zoom)?

The good thing is I have not experienced any touchpad issues resuming from sleep! Not sure if that is due to the Synaptics driver from HP, or the Intel Chipset drivers I installed that were for the HP Envy X2.

I really wish ASUS would get off their butts and post drivers. Even the initial release drivers would be a start!

3. Breed

Breed Scribbler - Standard Member

Great find! These are the newest drivers so far! New graphics drivers too, though they don't solve the Video issues I've been having.

In regards to your question - yes the stock touchpad drivers provide pinch to zoom - just tested.

4. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for checking on the multi-touch. I guess the ASUS drivers are something different than the HP ones.

BTW, my windows experience index (for what it's worth) went up by .1 on both 3D graphics and 2D graphics. What kind of video problems are you having? I loose track with these threads.

5. Breed

I had two video issues (one of which I've managed to fix):

1) Xvid/DivX's won't play correctly in Xbox Video. It will play the video audio but the video itself keeps alternating between the video a black screen. It'll play H.264 videos fine.

2) I couldn't get H.264 videos to use DXVA properly in MPC-HC. They would work fine in Media Player and Xbox Video but they don't support .MKVs.

I've discovered the issues are application based rather than driver based. I still can't get Xvid/DivXs to work in Xbox Video but they play in Windows Media Player fine - although the scaling is god awful, so I play them in MPC-HC instead.

I also managed to get H.264's to use DXVA in MPC-HC - I had to switch from using MPC's ffdshow codec to the internal Mircosoft DTV-DVD video codec to get DXVA acceleration to work properly. Apparently this is a known issue with Intel graphics cards - they only hardware accelerate with certain filters (such as PowerDVD and the MS one)

So now I can use MPC-HC to play all my videos, but it's frustrating to use with a touch screen and there's no good Metro Apps available to play videos other than PowerDVD - but that's £10

The newer GFX driver's (.1099+) also introduce an irritating screen blanking issue, where the screen goes black for a fraction of a second every few seconds after you've resumed from sleep sometimes - This only happens occasionally, and to get it to stop you have to put the tablet back into sleep then resume it again. Trivial, but annoying nonetheless.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  6. themugger

themugger Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi Breed, are you talking about XBMC? I have just installed Frodo RC2 and when ever I play any 720p media I get grey blocks all over the screen. if I turn off dxva then the cpu runs at close to 100% and the video is not that smooth... really annoying as I was hoping that this tablet would be able to play these files.

Thanks

7. Breed

Hey! Nice to see a fellow Transformer Forums guy around here! My issues were similar to yours, but pertaining to MPC-HC (Media Player Classic - Home Cinema) rather than XBMC, but the underlying issues are the same.

Open source Media Players, such as XBMC and MPC tend to use FFDSHOW as their decoders - nothing wrong with this, in fact it's a great decoder, unfortunately, it doesn't work with some Intel GPUs, something to do with Intel either not sticking to specifications or just not releasing them to non-payers. Either way, it stitches up the open source community.

I use MPC because it plays every file format you through at it and is extremely light weight - I highly recommend it. Because it uses FFDSHOW to decode videos however, DXVA wasn't working properly (green blocks all over the video) and turning it off resulted in 100% CPU. I managed to resolve this by forcing MPC-HC to use the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (who obviously have the bucks to pay Intel for their specs) instead of FFDSHOW. To do this, in MPC Go to View > Options, then click External Filters on the left. From here, click 'Add Filter' and select the Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder and click Ok. Make sure 'Prefer' is selected on the right then click Okay again to save your changes and come out of the Options menu. You'll now find that MPC will play everything you through at it with DXVA :)

What about XBMC though? Unfortunately, XBMC uses ffdshow and there's no way of changing this. So you're rather stuck. There are ways of making XBMC use an external player (such as MPC) but it's messy. Give it a google if you're interested.

PowerDVD is also available on the AppStore which is great on the Metro Interface, it too will play pretty much everything without the tweaks needed (Cyberlink are another company who must pay Intel - in fact I believe Intel do their tests with Cyberlink's decoder). It's £10 but there's a trial which I've been using. It doesn't seem to lack any functionality so I'm guessing it's a Time Trial.

I do have an unrelated issue to the 'Xbox Video' app, which I'm assuming is why you thought I meant XBMC, in which it won't play Xvid/DivXs. Quite a strange issues, but I've given up caring as the App is crap anyway - no .MKV support.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  8. Schnabe

Schnabe Pen Pal - Newbie

Have you tried VLC Media Player? I've tried it on some movies I converted for my Transformer Prime and they played fine. The downside is it is not a Metro app.

I have not experienced any of the screen blanking issues you are experiencing.

I wish I could get my touchpad driver issue working so I can get multi-touch working again. I've also noticed it seems really sensitive. If I try to double-click, it sometimes does not register, since the cursor moves slightly. I don't remember it doing that prior to my driver experimentation.

9. themugger

themugger Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the explanation breed, that helps alot! unfortunetly my pad has just died :( so wont be able to give MPC and powerdvd ago until after i get mine repaired. to be honest i dont mind paying a tenner if i get a decent usable media player with a nice metro UI.

Ill let you know how i get on when i get my tab fixed :(