Sympodium ID370 = Rebranded Wacom DFT-720? How similar are they?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by t3h m00kz, Apr 3, 2012.

1. t3h m00kz

t3h m00kz Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm interested in a Smart ID370 Sympodium, which is an obvious rebranding of the Wacom DTF-720.

This is an image of the Sympodium in question,

[​IMG]

in comparison to the Wacom DFT-720

[​IMG]

Video of the DFT-720 here:

my WACOM DTF 720 - YouTube

I'd like to ask the experts here if they know how similar these two devices are. This tablet monitor will be primarily for art, as an alternative to the horrendously overpriced, monopolizing Cintiq. I'd like to know if the Sympodium is capable of taking advantage of the DFT-720's 512 levels of pressure sensitivity, and if the overall functionality and performance of the two devices are roughly the same. I would imagine the technology is there!

Thanks.

2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm not going to call myself an "expert" but Wacom do build components for SMART - link page here WACOM Education Partners

That model is now called the Podium ID370, I have a feeling we have 3 at work and they're used in lecture theatres (and some classrooms). The other classrooms have the extra large SMART interactive Whiteboards. I've never seen or heard anyone use them for Photoshop use and I don't think there's any pressure sensitivity; what they do have though is inbuilt SMART classroom software and buttons built around a Wacom digitiser and pen.

I can check at work later (The only way I'll be able to tell is if I can find oneNote or Journal in the lecture rooms) but these Smart displays were designed for the specific purpose of general purpose classroom interactivity rather than as art tools, none of the .pdf files on the podium ID 350, 370, 422 or even the latest 400 boasts about pressure sensitivity. I just don't think SMART wanted it built in. (I could be wrong!)

There's a youtube video of use here.

I have a feeling the DTF-720 was only ever released in the Southern Pacific, mainly Australia; not sure where you are so how you would get one is going to be interesting?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

OK, have tried all 3 - we have the new "Podium" by SMART, Photoshop CS3 installed on all 3 machines.

There are no drivers on the Wacom site for these tablets, the tablets come with a SMART driver which has no setting for pressure sensitivity. There are DTF-720 drivers on the Wacom website and I got one of the IT administrators to install a driver but there was no change in Photoshop. Maybe someone who bought one of these LCD screens for personal use may be able to help.

On a personal note, the Podium ID370 by SMART costs £1000 to £1450 (depending on your supplier) but a better price comparison would be the SMART Podium ID422x (22 inch screen) which costs £2094 and may not have pressure sensitivity whereas a Wacom Cintiq 21UX inch costs £1574 or a Wacom Cintiq 24HD which costs £1900 and these last two do have (at the very least twice the pressure levels of the DFT-720).

I'd rather spend less money on a new Cintiq and not have to worry about how to get drivers and pressure sensitivity running. One other note, apparently the first Podium we bought as a trial was damaged and would cost £250 under the SMART licence just to ship back for them to inspect, repairs were separate. I'm betting I could ship a damaged Cintiq back for repair for much less.