SXGA+ Resolution on the x61t

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by cheesyp18, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xfire

xfire Pen Pal - Newbie

Affordability is good reason to forgo the SXGA+ screen.

2. cheesyp18

cheesyp18 Pen Pal - Newbie

I second that motion to post two pics side by side.

I did some math and the SXGA+ has a dpi of 144.63; XGA has a dpi of 105.79.

If anybody can post pics, could you run some text, images and anything else useful in comparison onscreen so that we can see the difference? Thanks!

3. DJ Garcia

DJ Garcia Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm almost 60 and need reading glasses to focus on the screen, but have no problem with the SXGA+. I love the real estate over my old XGA Motion 1300. My workstation has dual 22" (really more like 20-21") CRTs which I run at 1792x1344. So it really depends more on your acuity than your focusing, which you easily fix with $10 reading glasses :).

4. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

My SXGA+ X61t just arrived and I couldn't imagine going with the XGA version. The SXGA is perfect. I can read it fine, and the desktop just feels like my desktop's desktop, somewhat shrunken and not wide screen. The XGA just wouldn't be enough screen imo.

5. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies Administrator Super Moderator

Me neither, agree with you one hundred percent. :)

The text on 12" SXGA+ screen is just a tad smaller than text on a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen. It is not quite as small as a 15.4" WUXGA.

Note that screen resolution is entirely personal preference. I let someone I work with use this machine for a bit today and they commented that the text size was very small.

Like I said, if you've seen a 15.4" WSXGA+ screen then that is pretty close to this.

6. jenarelJAM

jenarelJAM Scribbler - Standard Member

Screenshot for ya:

[​IMG]

However that ends up looking on your screen, it came off of a 12" screen. Just shrink it in your mind accordingly...

7. walkertx

walkertx Pen Pal - Newbie

JenaraleJam thanks for posting the pic. I am confused now, the pic of ur screen when i shrink to 12.1" on my laptop appears too small and text is very very small for me to read. Apart from being small it is fuzzy....
    Can u read the text on ur screen without problem?

8. vahnwalker

vahnwalker Pen Pal - Newbie

This is a photo taken of my Samsung 204B(20" non-wide) monitor on 1600x1200 and X61 Tablet SXGA+ in front of it. You can't read the text, but you will notice that the text is smaller on the X61.

I usually have my eyes 2~2.5 feet away from my 20" monitor, but because the text is smaller on X61t, I put my eyes 1.5 feet from X61t's screen.

Overall, the text of X61 SXGA+ feels definitely small. Perhaps it's because I only used large monitors this past few years. But the text is readable and I find myself getting used to it everyday.

[​IMG]

9. izzypoobah

izzypoobah Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to throw in my 2cents. I have the x61 w/ multitouch XGA, and after a few days of using it, I think the touch functionality is quite terrible. While you can poke at the screen with relative accuracy, it requires an unusual amount of pressure (from your fingernail, as often stated), and it is quite difficult to do any kind of dragging. I honestly expected the touch implementation to be much better than this.

In addition, my particular unit seems to have a scaling or signal issue when rotated to any orientation other than primary portrait (i.e. laptop style). The other 3 orientations exhibit some kind of slight color shadowing or pixelation effect around black text on a white background, somewhat similar to viewing an lcd through a poor quality VGA cable. Does anybody else notice this in either their XGA multitouch or SXGA+ panels?

Anyways, I found the above 2 things quite annoying, and am wondering if I can somehow get my screen switched out (or maybe I'll just return it).

10. tabletdiehard

tabletdiehard Scribbler - Standard Member

For point (1) you will feel better when you get used to it. I felt the same when I first received my machine, but then I found ways to touch accurately without using much force. The trick is that the force applied on the screen must be *focused*. If you put the whole thumb on it, you will need a fair amount of force to trigger a click, and it is not accurate. However, if you only touch the screen lightly with your finger tip (or better, the tip of your nail), you will find how easy it is to make a click.

Dragging over a long distance is slightly more difficult, but there is a smart way to do so. If you want to drag something from point A to point B, do the following in order:
    1) use one finger to press on A;
    2) use the other finger to press on B;
    3) release the finger on A;
    4) release the finger on B.
    Try it with either one hand or two hands. It is very cool.

For point (2) I agree with you, the LCD does look a little different in modes other than primary landscape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.