Switching Batteries

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by schmolch, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imjusthereforthefood

imjusthereforthefood Pen Pal - Newbie

Sometime ago (I can't remember how long ago it was), I asked which tablet to buy. I was recommended the T2010, which after further research, seemed perfect. I have one major problem, however. It seem that not even the T2010 has long enough battery life for my purposes. So, I was thinking, would it be better either to wait a year for a tablet with better battery life comes out or just get two batteries. Finally, this leads me to how I got the title for this thread. If I do get two batteries, how is it switching batteries. Is it a painful, several minute process, or do I not even have to turn off the computer? Somewhere inbetween?
    Thank you very much for help.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If the T2010 is connected to the power supply you can change the battery while the T2010 is on.
    If you want to change the battery while not connected to the power supply then you have to shut down the tablet (hibernation or complete off) and then change the battery.
    Changing battery is easy.

I don't think that there will be a tablet in the near future (1 year) which will give you longer battery life.

But what do you want to do with the tablet that the 8 hours battery life is too short for you?

3. imjusthereforthefood

imjusthereforthefood Pen Pal - Newbie

I go to high school. I school starts at 8 am and school ends at 3. I also sometimes stay late, and I know that those company provided times are always extremely exhagurated. Also, I prefer not to have my tablet die and be out of juice on the way home. BTW, is 8 hours about how long you get on your T2010 with a 9 cell? And is a NuShield screen protector that necessary

4. Frank

Battery life:
    With WLAN and Bluetooth switched off, mostly max display brightness, normal usage (writing in OneNote), dynamic power saving mode (95% of time CPU @798 Mhz), if not writing for a longer period I switch off my display, I get about 8 hours with a 9 cell battery
    If you dim the screen brightness, you can get more.
    In longer breaks (lunch break) you could put your tablet in hibernation mode to gain more battery life.
    In shorter breaks you can put the tablet in standby to gain more battery life.

I think it should be possible to complete a whole day with the 9 cell battery. I would buy the tablet with the 9 cell battery, and if you run out of power during a day, then buy a second battery.

Screen protector:
    Maybe you saw my thread in the Fujitsu area about the NuShield screen protectors ;) If you have the I/O Display it is advisable to use a screen protector. Don't use the Fujitsu one, because it is really bad. I can recommend the Nushield because they are almost crystal clear, easy to apply, perfect size (custom) and not so expensive. All the other screen protectors I found are matt and grainy, difficult to apply and later difficult to remove, not the right size and more expensive.
    In my opinion the NuShield is a good choice. The only problem is, that the surface is glass like. Maybe every clear screen protector has this problem and maybe the felt nibs could compensate that, but I don't have them ;)

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yeah, on lunch breaks or periods where you won't need it, put it in hibernate. Between classes, put it in sleep.

Also, tone down the brightness and disable BT or WIFI

6. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Some Tablets have a battery-feature called hotswapping.
    It means that they have a small internal battery that allows you to switch the main-battery without turning off the machine.

But i think this is very rare, some slates have it if i remember correctly.
    IMHO every manufacturer that does not include this great feature in his machines should be pee'd on.

7. Frank

In my opinion hot swapping is a feature that allows you to change the battery while the tablet is running.
    This is possbile if you are connected to a power supply while you change the battery or if you use 2 batteries simultaneous (e.g. T4220 with his standard battery and a second battery in the modular bay).

I don't know any tablet which has a very tiny in-built battery which allows you to run the tablet a few seconds, maybe a minute, without any battery or power supply and I don't think that such an tablet exists. It would be nice but also senseless because hibernating is not so slow, so it will take about 1 minute to change the battery, 95% of the users have only 1 single battery and don't need to change the battery while it is on.

8. schmolch

schmolch Scribbler - Standard Member

Correction:

Hot-Swapping is only possible with a second battery or connected to the power-supply as Frank mentionend above.

There are a few devices though (Stylistic and Scribbler) that have a internal bridge battery that lets you warm-swap without a second battery or connected to the power-supply.
    The internal bridge battery keeps the Slate running for 5m in Sleep-Mode.
    So instead of hibernating the machine which takes 1m or more you just have to put it into sleep-mode which is of course alot faster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.