Switch to XP - how much of a performance increase?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Engreeks1, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engreeks1

Engreeks1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there,

I've been considering downgrading to XP since I've been getting really frustrated with the sluggishness of Vista when I am on power-saver mode. I've reduced the maximum processor power to 35% when on battery in power-saver and at that point, even scrolling through a window in firefox is a bit sluggish.

Would XP significantly improve my overall performance while in powersaver, both in this respect and in overall program loading speed, start up time, and any other measure of normal computer usage?

Can any of you describe how performance has improved since you made the switch, and whether or not that improvement was significant?

Has anyone done any benchmarks on XP vs. Vista on the 2500z in low-power mode?

Lastly, do any of you have any other things I should consider when making the switch?

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

re: scrolling sluggish:
    have you deactivated aero and all the visual gimmicks in Vista?
    What do you mean with 'reduced the maximum processor power to 35%'. Have you just reduced the voltage and multiplier or have you also activated CPU throttling?

3. cloudnine

cloudnine Scribbler - Standard Member

Switch to balanced mode, and up the max processor usage to 50% on battery (which is the upper limit of the second power state of the processor). That should give you the most functionality and battery life.

4. Engreeks1

Engreeks1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the replies about optimizing my system in Vista! I have deactivated aero, and I set the max processor power in Vista power options.

I am still wondering, however, how much of a performance boost I would see switching to xp. Would it be worth it to go through the hassle of switching to XP tablet?

5. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Pen Pal - Newbie

Turn Aero back on and test if the sluggishness is still there.

6. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Pros of switching to XP would be:

Boost in Performance
    Somewhat longer battery life
    And better functionality

Cons would be:
    Not recommended for ppl unfamiliar with "Homebrew" or custom softwares
    Process could/can take long to properly work
    Some features will not work on XP

All in all, XP would get rid of "eye candy" and make the laptop function better. But this boost isn't what most ppl claim as for those who aren't too good in computer skills (as in power management software, tweaking services and the like.)

One possible solution is to dual boot both XP and Vista on the laptop and see which one you would prefer.

As for me, handwriting recognition is needed and XP nor Linux for that matter has viable options at the moment of writing.)

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

@970261

Linux has cellwriter for handwriting recognition, although it is nowhere near as good as vista/ 7.

8. Mitco39

Mitco39 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just finished Trying it... it took me over 12 hours to get it working right... and even then some of the tablet applications were iffy.

If your not relying on the tablet so much than it is a viable choice for you... It did run alot smoother.

However I strongly suggest trying Windows 7. I installed to today and I am very impressed with it. Its like the speed and performance of xp, with all the benefits of Vista. On powersaver my CPU sits about 3precent, and its only using a little over a gig of ram to run..

9. oatt

oatt Pen Pal - Newbie

What's the build version of win7 you are installed?
    For mind, some applications can't running properly.

10. SciLor

SciLor SciLor

I have XP installed, and with some tools like my App Launcher and Launchy, increased icon size, Firefox GrabIt add-on etc. it is fun like on a iPhone :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.