Switch to android? Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by jb82, Nov 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been a long term windows tablet user - my first pen tablet was a fujistu P series 15 years ago! However I have been increasingly getting frustrated with windows tablets. My current tablet is a vivotab note 8 but I am finding it a bit too slow.

First issue is that there are very few tablets with a pen silo anymore (why?!!). I just don't like having loose pens around. I like a real place to put it.

Second I have yet to find a simple note taking app I like. Onenote is too much. Journal is the one I use but there are some frustrations. I like the kind of note taking app like SNote on the note 4 I had. I liked the little thumbnail summary of the note and the quick access to changing pens. As well as the simple design.

Apart from some note taking (I'm not a power user) I mainly edit PDFs. I have been using drawboard PDF but again sometimes it crashes, I don't find the menus very intuitive etc. I have used XODO pdf on android and find it works well. I just need to open a pdf file, annotate it and save it. Maybe email it to someone. So basic uses only.

I don't do much else other than some web browsing.

So all of this leads me to wonder if I am wasting my time (and probably money!) looking for a windows tablet replacement and had my eye on an Android Samsung A Tab 10.1 with SPen.

Am I crazy or does it sound like my needs will be met? I like the 8" size but 10" is fine.

2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Considering your needs are very basic and it sounds like you prefer streamlined UI, yeah, Android sounds like your cup of tea. Samsung S-Pen devices are usually a pretty premium experience in Android for the most part, especially for note taking, PDF editing, etc.
    What are you doing in the Vivotab that your finding is too slow though? I would watch any videos and reviews on performance of the A Tab first before getting one, in case its sluggish in the same way your vivotab is. Its doesnt sound like your a power user by any stretch, so I'm sorta interested to know what is causing the performance wall your hitting. Android is better optimized for smaller CPU chips though, so generally speaking it should feel "zippier" in many respects than a small windows tablet running off a similar low power chip.

3. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

Nothing major. I just opened the windows store and it took 20 seconds to load. Some basic multi tasking sometimes ends in spinning circles - though I realize android won't be better for multi-tasking! There is also a tiny bit of noticeable lag in some apps.

4. Katagiri

Katagiri Pen Pal - Newbie

My mother has a Samsung Tab A with S-Pen and she loves it, I heard Samsung is selling a new version of it. I'm doing the other way around, changing Android to Windows. I think Windows is going to give me more flexibility and my work is Windows or Mac OS only.

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Your needs are such that Windows is overkill for you. If you continue to use it you should probably disable and uninstall a lot of background apps. This might be the reason you feel your Asus to be sluggish. But you should do the same on Android, either root it and uninstall, especially the Google apps. Or disable them.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

6. Katagiri

Katagiri Pen Pal - Newbie

You are right, we need to uninstall or disable a lot of stuff. Android needs root to uninstall bloatwares, I know Asus has a bunch of them.

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@jb82 couple years ago I switched to Android device as a main one, leaving only most heavy work to Windows laptop. While I gave up on the idea eventually, experience was extremely educating and helped me narrow down things I really need in my future Windows systems. Also, there were no possible arguments to stop me from trying, anyway. =p Bottom line - go forward with it, Android devices ain't very expensive so you won't loose much selling one if/when you get tired of mobile os.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    WillAdams likes this.
  8. djas

djas Graffiti User

@jb82: Go for it. I am a Tab 4 8" user.

I'm a heavy notetaker, alternating between:

Notebook
    • SNote
    • Squid
    • LectureNotes
    • OneNote
    PDF Editors:
    • SNote
    • Squid
    • LectureNotes
    • Write on PDF
    Love SNote. So many useable functions. Bonus: The new 10.1 has better RAM, screen etc. Wish Samsung update the 8".

siddhartth, Starlight5 and WillAdams like this.
  9. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I've gone through and disabled (and uninstalled where possible) much of the bloatware, but have never rooted either my phone or tablet. Mostly because I'm scared I would:
    A.) trip Knox. whatever that is...
    B.) lose all the cool S-Pen functionality within the touchwhiz environment... I actually use quite a few of the radial menu options in a week. S-pen and the Edge screen make it difficult to root generically without losing much of what makes your phone unique with Samsung premium devices...

unless you know something i dont (very likely) and you can load a rooted version of touch whiz that is bloatfree??

10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Knox is mainly a problem if you're a corporate user, but your warranty is already gone so it doesn't matter anymore. Once you root you can reinstall S-Note and other apps, but you will probably lose edge support (unless there is some new ROM out there). But if you are uncomfortable rooting never even enter its path.

Balbutio ergo sum

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.