switch alpha 12 -- is this normal for the pen?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by byviolet, Oct 29, 2016.

1. byviolet

byviolet Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a little disappointed by the responsiveness and accuracy of the alpha switch 12 when I'm using a pen for it. It seems to perform worse than my $300 thinkpad 2 I got a few years back.

Here's a comparison: http://imgur.com/a/Td2jg

as you can see, it seems like the switch alpha 12 draws more jagged, and it's harder to be precise and circles are harder to draw (like it's harder to close a "g" or an "o" off). Is this expected behaviour (because that would suck) or do I need to return my pen?

Are there drivers I can download that might improve performance? I can't even find the driver page for the switch alpha 12.

2. azaniramsan

azaniramsan Pen Pal - Newbie

I think that's the best it can get. It's a synaptic pen tech, what can you expect.

Sent from my ASUS_Z008D using Tapatalk

3. byviolet

byviolet Pen Pal - Newbie

ok... I heard people saying that the pen is okay for note taking but not digital art but imo this pen isn't good for anything. Should I bother getting a new pen and seeing if the issue is improved? Or is this basically what I should expect.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It is unlikely that a new pen is going to be better. The issue is with Synaptics' inferior tech compared to Wacom or N-Trig.

5. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

kvoram likes this.
  6. HJK

HJK Scribbler - Standard Member

I hope this is a software problem, not a hardware issue (you'll see why in my next post). If it is a hardware issue and you have money to burn, here is my experience:
    The Dell Active Stylus with the silver barrel (750-aagn) is reputed to be the best option among Synaptics pens. I've used them on other devices and they haven't seemed to have the sorts of problems described here. Two huge negatives about the 750-aagn: 1) Now you can't seem to find them for less than $100. In my experience they break extremely easily. Definitely not worth $100!
    fwiw.

7. HJK

OK, so, the reason I've popped in here is that I've had yet *another* Dell 7500-aagn crud out on me again, and I'm looking for a replacement. Given the two drawbacks mentioned in my previous post (too expensive and too cheaply made), I'm looking for another Synaptics pen. The best option I've seemed to find is the Acer Active stylus for around $45:
    https://www.amazon.com/Acer-NP-STY1...F8&qid=1482103266&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+stylus
    It seems to be used mostly by Aspire Switch Alpha 12 users, so I'm wondering what experiences Switch Alpha 12 users have had with this pen. If all drivers are updated and the ops issues are addressed, is this serviceable for note taking? Does it work roughly as well as a good Dell 750-aagn? And how is the construction? I'm hesitant to plunk down another $50 if this is a dud.
    Thanks in advance!

8. gregoryx

gregoryx Scribbler - Standard Member

Pretty sure this pen will not work with the Dell. I have a few tablets laying around that use Wacom and the old Dell Synaptics and none of them work with this. But, hey... let us know.

9. HJK

Yeah, I decided not to risk it. In the Q&A section on Amazon others said they weren't able to get it to work on other Synaptics devices. Too bad. I bought an HP Active stylus for $60 and I'm seriously considering returning it. It is awful. The Dell 750-aagn works great imo--at least for basic note taking and annotations--but it's currently selling for over $100 on Amazon and I've already had at least two break on me. The HP stylus looks to be of much better build quality, but it doesn't register a stroke on the screen until you press the nib down significantly, making it very frustrating to use.