Swaping DVD drives on TX series

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Bernok, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernok

Bernok Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a tx1000z with a lightscribe drive and a tx2500z with a regular drive. I want to put the lightscribe on the tx2500z.

I tried just shutting down, disconnecting from power, removing battery then swapping the drives. After doing this, the computers would not boot. When I put their appropriate drives back they booted normally.

Anyone know why this is happening?

2. Bernok

I guess not many people have tried this.

3. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

well....for one thing, the drives have "different" drivers associated with each one. since it "tries" to look for the appropriate drivers and boot up FROM the CD drive, it can't load it ergo, it can't boot up

DL'ed appropriate drivers and mine's working atm.

4. feerof

feerof Pen Pal - Newbie

i've tried that, and it does the same thing, i do'nt think it has something to do with the driver issue. cuz if it were the driver, i don't think it would juts shut down the computer.

it's probably something to do with the power it consumes.

duno... tell me when you do figure somtehing out cuz i would like to know how i can solve this

5. GreatWizard

GreatWizard Pen Pal - Newbie

try uninstalling the driver first.

6. AlekHugo

AlekHugo Pen Pal - Newbie

Try to turn off booting from the optical drive in BIOS settings. Computer may be looking for "old" CD-drive before booting from the hard disc.

7. Thokas

Thokas Too many laptops...

Don't quote me on this as I am not sure. I'll confirm it Monday at work. I believe the circuit board that is attached to the end of the DVD drive is different between both models. The same board that flips the slim drive to system board connector. TX1000s and TX2000s have different architecture and the board made be incompatible. Since you say that the system isn't booting correctly I'd would assume the system board is trying to detect a drive that isn't fully connected.

8. burbley

burbley Pen Pal - Newbie

Out of curiosity, if you go into the device manager and select "View Devices by Connection", where is the drive on the tx1000 attached to?

On my tx2500, it's here:

MY COMPUTER
    +ACPI x64-based PC
    -+Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System
    --+ATI PCI Express (3GIO) Filter Driver
    ---+AMD AHCI Compatible RAID controller
    ----+AMD RAID Console
    ----+"model number of primary hard drive" SCSI Disk Device
    ----+TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633L SCSI CdRom Device

If it's also attached to the AHCI controller (SATA), then I don't see why it shouldn't unless HP decided to move around the pins on the connector.

If it's attached to the Standard Dual Channel PCIIDE Controller, then it definitely won't swap.

9. Bernok

My sister will be bringing the tx1000 this weekend, I will be able to check all of this. Thanks for all the info, i will post soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.