Swap dead surface pro 3 with surface pro 4 for $599 at MS store?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Sord, May 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sord

Sord Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone heard of this? My surface pro 3 battery died - it will only power up with the power supply and does not charge the battery. I called to see how much it'd cost to replace the battery. They told me $599US, but that they'd provide me with a surface pro 4. They said they'd do the swap at a local MS store.

Have any of you heard of this or done this before? I wanted to get your opinion whether it'd be worth doing it - I also wonder whether this is an actual thing or whether the service rep was feeding me a tale (I have had bad advice from them before). I don't want to waste driving an hour to the MS store if this is not a real offer.

2. Telstar1948

Telstar1948 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think I would contact the MS store & talk to at least an assistant manager if you can't reach the manager. Tell him/her the story and see what they say.

3. Sord

Sord Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I ended up going to the MS store today. They were very nice. They tried to revive my SP3 for an hour and gave up. They did indeed offer the upgrade. But they also offered to replace it with a refurb SP3 free of charge. Amazing. I took the free refurb SP3. I have to say, unparalleled service. My SP3 was 3 years old. Moreover they gave me a 90 day warranty for the refurb SP3. Now here is the unfortunate part. I am going to have to go back to the store and take advantage of that warranty. The fan on the replacement is broken. It sounds like an electric razor. Quality control must be poor because there is no way that fan can be missed once it comes on. We'll see what they'll do, especially if they don't have another refurb SP3 on hand.

I am still very impressed with their service for the surface devices. No other company would have given me this kind of support for a 3 year old device.

dstrauss and Telstar1948 like this.
  4. jl199954

jl199954 Scribbler - Standard Member

[QUOTE="I am still very impressed with their service for the surface devices. No other company would have given me this kind of support for a 3 year old device.[/QUOTE]

What's your guess for replacing a SP3 with a hairline crack (so no touch or pen). Think they'd swap that for SP4 or SP3?

We have a kiosk here, but no store.

5. Sord

Sord Pen Pal - Newbie

I expect the $599 deal for refurb SP4 should be no problem - in fact, I noticed that the refurb SP4s have been going on sale for not much more that that, outright, so if you look at the MS store you may be able to get something close to that without hassles (last week the refurb i5/128 - which is what I have - was at $629).

The exchange for refurb SP3 is totally at the discretion of the store - the tech support call line never made such an offer. I suspect the factor that influenced it in my case was that the battery fully died at 3 years. They have already had a bad reputation with SP3 batteries - mine wasn't the usual problem though - so as the service person told me, Microsoft wants to make sure SP3 users are happy with the Surface and continue to be Surface customers. With the hairline crack you may have a tougher call. If the crack is not due to premature failure of their parts, I am not sure how willing they'll be to replace it for free. Also, the fact that you have a kiosk, and most likely the kiosks don't have refurb units sitting around in the back, will also make it more difficult - in fact they may not even have a discretion to do this. It doesn't hurt to try though. Let us know how it goes, if you try.

As an update of my case, they replaced the refurb unit that had the bad fan with another refurb unit, which works great, so I'll be a surface user for the foreseeable future.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sord...Did you have the Surface Protection Plan on your Pro3?

I ask because I find myself in a bit of a similar situation. Long story short…..I bought a Pro 3 on day 1….didn’t get the Protection Plan…..a week or two after the window to add the plan had expired….I broke my screen….went to the Microsoft store…..was told they couldn’t add the plan on……so I paid $300ish to have my SP3 screen fixed (they didn’t even have Pro3 repair prices yet, so it was the Pro2 screen repair price)……there was some sort of Mixup on Microsofts end between the Physical Store and the Online store……..and they ended up giving me the Protection Plan….……so the Physical Microsoft Store sent me a brand new Pro 3 mere days later….along with a gift card refunding the additional repair cost over the price of the Protection Plan……and then few weeks later…..I received the “Repaired” Pro 3 from the On-line Microsoft Store……so I found myself now with two Surface Pro 3’s ……and still had one additional Accidental Breakage coverage on my plan. So…needless to say I was quite happy at the arrangement. I didn’t sell my spare Pro 3 but held onto it……knowing I had a full Brand New Backup literally waiting at home for me certainly gave me a very refreshing ease of using and taking my Pro 3 literally anywhere…since breaking it wasn’t really a concern. Over the next two years…my main Pro 3 broke….so I used the protection plan and got my 2nd replacement Pro 3…..which was the end of my Plan (its now past 2 breaks and 2 years)….so I still had two Pro 3’s……..until a few months ago………..my main Pro 3 had Win 8.1 and the 2nd replacement had Windows 10…..I started using both Pro 3’s back and forth….testing out Win 10 and the Surface Dial…..until…….the SSD in my Spare Win 10 Pro 3 completely died one day. Like Dead Dead…..I tried reviving it……but Bios Aside…..my Spare Pro 3 is a paper weight now. (I’m not even gonna try cracking it open….I’ve seen the ifixit page for the Pro 3 already…..no thank you)

So I still have my 8.1 Pro 3…….still working…..and the now Paperweight Pro 3 with the SSD dead.

Fortune favored me the first time around…..but Karma caught up and reaped my SSD……so with the “New” Surface Pro…….I’m trying to figure out…..how to frame or word my story in hopes I can get a similar deal you got…..with a Free Refurbed Pro 3....(despite having used both Accidental Breaks already)……or some sort of credit towards a Pro 4 or nSP

7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hehe, jeez 3 SP3's and you're still not done...you're really milkin' that protection plan. :p

Well, I have a story I remember from another user on this forum @Oldmana, who was able to trade up his dead SP2 for a brand new SP4!

So I would just go to the MS Store to explain your situation. With any luck, you'll be able to extend that warranty and walk home with yet another Surface Pro. :p

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

My goal is ultimately the nSP....and in matters of selling or trading up older devices......a Functional Pro 3 would go further then a dead one. Ideally I'd like to sacrifice the Spare/Dead Pro 3 towards the nSP....while keeping my other Pro 3.

The Microsoft Store clerks seem to have quite a bit of power....or flexibility in making their customers happy.........but I have to be mindful how I word my scam.....err.....I meant to say pitch......Like if I walk in.....say I'm interested in the nSP.....but I had issues with Pro 3.....its now dead for the 3rd time.....and I'm in need of a new device.....thinking of maybe getting one of those new Macbook Pros....."

I'm definitely thinking that I'll need to pull the "Mac" card out at some point....and I need to tread with just enough friendly hostility to work the store clerk.

9. Marshall Lee

Marshall Lee Pen Pal - Newbie

Dear all,
    MS did the same swap from Pro3 to Pro4 at the similar amount of payment in Jun 2017. Last evening my Pro4 already dead and cannot turn on with the online MS support. This is the 4th replacement of device, I have kept win10 updated daily & shut down w/o turn to sleep but still make no difference!!!! DO NOT TRUST SURFACE PRO PRODUCTS as you only waste your money and time in searching helps to wake it up!!!! You paid a high price but end up you work as QC seviceman for Microsoft only and they'll never care the bugs!!!!!!

Warmest regards,
    Marshall

10. athman8

athman8 Pen Pal - Newbie

Bought one of these last week at Frys for $249 and its a great little device, but now I'm considering returning it and getting the ASUS Transformer Mini T102HA they mention in the article. Same price, double the ram, and a keyboard and pen???? Anyone have any experience with the asus vs. the surface 3? ShowBox VidMate Mobdro

Last edited: May 4, 2018