Surviving W10 on 2GB RAM, 32 GB eMMC and a microSD card

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Kumabjorn, Mar 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I'm starting this thread in the hope that there are people out there that has figured out how to live with a small tablet (in terms of RAM and storage) with an ever expanding Windows 10 OS. I am certainly encountering several challenges and it seems my solutions doesn't always work.

The first, and most obvious is to install a 64 GB microSD card, or 128 GB if they will work, in the expansion slot. But moving documents and other stuff over there is insufficient. I only stream music and video to a small device lie that so there aren't any media files hoarding GBs. But I need to find some way of moving OneNote notebooks, and preferably Office Mobile (only use Word and OneNote to keep it at a minimum) and all their related files over to the card to ease up on storage on C://.

Hence, I'd like to know how the rest of you handle this kind of setup. I'm fine with editing Registry, as long as I know what I'm doing. And if I need to completely reset it and reinstall Windows 8 as the only solution, so be it. But I'm fairly sure that Mobile Office apps one day will no longer run on W8.

So let's figure out how we go about reviving our small devices in a cramped world.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. FZelle

FZelle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Why do you think you have to do that?
    Do you have less then 5GB free on C:?
    Otherwise I wouldn't really care.

And W10 doesn't really grow, it cleans itself up every few days and you can do that yourself from time to time. ( Drivesettings/cleanup....)

What you could do to get some immediate relieve is to change the location for the temp and tmp files.

Rightclick the Windows button, System/Advanced system settings/Environment Variables
    Set tmp=d:\tmp AND temp=d:\temp after creating those directories there.

3. Kumabjorn

I have zero GB left, OneNote stopped in the middle of a sync session so I just deleted everything relating to OneNote and got back 27 GB. I like the temp variables, much appreciated. Is there some way I can get apps from Windows Store to install on D: as well?

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. FZelle

Oh woa, 27 GB, probably OneDrive stuff.
    If you would get a real OneNote ( just bought Office Pro Plus for €10 on E..y ) then you can decide where to put your notebooks.

And for moving StoreApps, actually yes.
    In the SettingsAPP goto Apps & Features, there you have the StoreApps.
    The StoreApps have a button Move.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To store apps in external drive, better to format the external drive to NTFS. You can also move your OneDrive to the external drive. Go to settings/general/storage and choose to install apps/docs/music/pics/etc. on the external drive.
    I found out you can even install some legacy apps (Exe) on the external drive a couple of days ago.

The bad news is that there's no remedy for the 2gb RAM. My HP8EN still lags heavily even with only store apps installed.

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Starlight5 and siddhartth like this.
  6. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe a dumb question but did you compress the OS aka with CompactOS?

7. Kumabjorn

I can only provide a dumb answer.
    Don't know what that is.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

8. FZelle

9. Tourniquet

Tourniquet Scribbler - Standard Member

Well compactOS is something like wimboot from Windows 8.1 It compresses the OS.

Compact.exe /CompactOS:Query -> you can check if its already activated or not.

Compact.exe /CompactOS:always -> you can compress it. It can save about up to 2GB.

Kumabjorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.