Survey - is power drain on SP3 fixed yet?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by motionfan, Oct 24, 2014.

?

How much power do you lose overnight with the SP3 in connected stanby?

1. 1-5 % / hr

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. 10 % / hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 20 %/ hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. > 20 % / hr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. < 1 % / hr

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. motionfan

motionfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi - I am waiting to buy a SP3 (or SP4 if it takes that long) until the overnight power drain problem is solved. I had a Samsung 500T ATIV and found unless I plugged it in every night, it would be dead in the morning. So - in the connected standby state, is the power drain still 10-20% per night? I have read several posts here, cannot determine the answer. Also, I prefer not to hibernate, because as I understand it, this writes to SSD every time leading to premature wear (maybe this isn't an issue with newer SSD's).

Thanks in advance.

PS Interesting I think this is a MS problem. There are similar problems with WIN phones, posted on various forums, and seems to no be unique to the SP3, or Samsung ATIV.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I prefer not to hibernate...this writes to SSD every time leading to premature wear...>>

Seriously, this is not an issue. Contemporary SSDs are designed to be used...

3. toucan

toucan Pen Pal - Newbie

Perhaps I am ridiculously lazy (which I tell my students all the time anyway) -- but I don't really know if when I pack up the SPro3 is in CS or not (haven't checked - hence the laziness comment).

It is not unusual for me to not have the thing plugged in for several days even though I use it in all my meetings - typically with the screen on 100% of the time while in OneNote (at a low brightness).
    For example, this week I had it close to fully charged Monday, and didn't even bother with the charger the rest of the week.

Regarding my in-bag use -- I occasionally shut it down (~50%) and occasionally just close the keyboard (also ~50%) and put it into my bag. No issue either way.

4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sometimes I lose only 2% total in <8 hours, sometimes I lose 5 % in < 4 hours.

I don't bother manually hibernating since Connected Standby/InstantOn will auto hibernate after 4 hours of sleep. And as Steve S said, don't worry about wear on the SSD. It's extremely unlikely you're going to wear it out with day to day use.

5. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Been using SSD in my PC (OS and Storage drivers) and laptops drive for the last 2-3 years, no slowdown issues, or, wear issues. Not sure and don't care if it is TRIM or some other method, it just works. Surface hasn't been any different.

Have the Type Cover with a SP3, no issues with battery drain when it isn't in use. It is so insignificant that I don't even bother to look; that's when you know it isn't an issue. No problem if I don't have the cover on it and just use the power button to shutdown the display so it goes into whatever mode it uses.

MS gives you a return policy of a couple of weeks if you buy from them directly. I come from 12+ years of Thinkpads and the SP3 is a real winner for me; better than my TP X1c. I'd like to see a 14" screen as the fonts on desktop apps and my Win 7 apps running in a VM are very small. That's my only complaint. I purchased the Lenovo Thinkpad Bluetooth Keyboard, works great!