Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...they're not called jaggles…>>

...Sez you. I've been using the term for a long time...

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised they didn't just put additional USB-C (and A) ports on the sides of the display. For that kind of device, that would be the most elegant solution since it would basically mimic how the smaller surfaces have their port access.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find with the Pro 5 era Surface Pen...while definitely improved from the Pro 4 Era pen.....the Pro 5 pen overall still works better the more zoomed in you are. Like if you are trying to draw or do the Jaggle test....double your current zoom level and the results should be noticeable better.

4. Steve S

<<...if you are trying to draw or do the Jaggle test....double your current zoom level and the results should be noticeable better...>>

...OK, will try that the next time I get a chance. Wife says that will be next month...

darkmagistric and Azzart like this.
  5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I want a video! :D

6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

The Verge reports a Surface Monitor could be released in 2020. So the ultimate one device solution will finally be realized? (Surface Pro + Surface Studio Monitor with beefy GPU, ONE device, too good to be true)

JoeS likes this.
  7. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, some show off time. I entertained the idea of using the Surface Studio as an expensive wall flower (side monitor), guess what, didn't look bad at all. And my Surface Pro (the ONE device), after driving SEVEN monitors with a combined 28M pixels, is staying as quiet as it ever was. Now that's what I called the ultimate one device solution. BTW, that LG monitor is sick as hell with six input sources - I can use it to switch between my three computers (SP, SS, Mac Mini) like whatever and whenever.

[​IMG]

The miracast-enabled Studio monitor is actually working great. I can watch videos on it with no stutter. Can't imagine how it'd perform on 10Gb ethernet. Damn.

djas, JoeS and batty like this.
  8. djas

djas Graffiti User

I love Miracast-enabled TVs/Monitors/Windows 10 PCs. I make use of the capability both at work and home. No cables needed.

9. Steve S

<<...And, in tribute to @Azzart , I made sure to buy Microsoft Complete... And we're saving the box...>>

Well, I guess this was sort of predictable.

Over the weekend, we thought we had a near disaster with the files for my wife's book, caused primarily by the flakiness of Windows when trying to copy and paste files, aided and abetted by Windows' failure to fully display all of the desktop icons. During the the recovery efforts, I noticed that the 1TB D: drive was grayed out in My PC. Exploring further in Storage Manager, the D: volume was reported as "No media (present)." A few other checks seemed to indicate that the D: drive was completely unresponsive... i.e., dead.

Fortunately, my wife hasn't been using the D: drive (she's been using off-line storage for her manuscript versions) and I don't get any time on the Studio 2 (previously agreed-to ground rules), so I have no idea when this happened. We've had a few power outages this winter, but I have the Studio 2 plugged into an APC UPS with surge protection, so I don't think that's the cause.

Since my wife is closing in on the completion of her book, I've decided not to rock the boat and to leave things alone, for now. The rest of the Studio 2 continues to work great. The screen is still flawless and response is excellent considering that the average size of one page of this book is ~94MB... and the book has over 250 pages...!

Interestingly, I may not even bother with Microsoft Complete. A decent 1TB drive isn't expensive and we actually have several lying around the house. And iFixIt has a set of nifty instructions on how to upgrade both the SSD and the HD in a Studio... and I have the tools. It could take as little as an hour. However, if it's a MoBo failure, it may need to go back, although I could still just use an external drive...

I guess I can't complain; @Azzart , you warned me about this...!

Eltos likes this.
  10. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Yikes!
    Warnings shouldn't really apply at that dollar amount tho. For that kinda dough you should be able to hit it with a tank round.