Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I could understand if the 10% discount was contingent on the $500 upsell, but even the 5% offer? So basically, they tried to upsell you upfront as "concession" for a legitimate complaint.

Wow...you just forked over thousands on their most expensive luxury product, then they messed up the order, and all they can think about is how to make an extra buck?!

If it were me, I probably would have just cancelled the order right then-and-there.

(Or maybe it's just because I'm Canadian, and super-aggressive sales in normal in America? :confused:)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...Caved in and bought the more expensive mid-range model just so my wife would have it for the holidays.

Almost finished setting it up and I have to admit, the screen is both bright and saturated. The color is every bit as good as my Z Canvas. My wife is thrilled!

And, in tribute to @Azzart , I made sure to buy Microsoft Complete... And we're saving the box...

WillAdams likes this.
  3. Steve S

The first 24 hours.

I've mostly finished setting up the Studio 2 while showing my wife the features and letting her experiment with the files for her book. Now she's taken over. She says she really likes it.

I won't comment on the unboxing, except to say that the Studio 2 comes in a ginormous box within a box and that the internal foam packing is very cleverly laid out. The only problem that I encountered was removing the many pieces of protective plastic that covered literally everything. The adhesive was tenacious and some of the tabs, intended to provide for easy removal, tore off! The Studio 2 comes with the current tilt-sensitive pen, a keyboard and a mouse, all color coordinated and using Bluetooth connectivity. Disappointingly, and for no obvious reason, the Dial is not included. The keyboard features adequate (scissor-switch) tactile feel, but I really dislike the key labels, which are white letters on light gray keys. The keys are not backlit, so in subdued lighting, the keys are hard (for me) to see. Finally, I found the mouse to be cheap-feeling and disappointing. It works fine, but as part of a $4000 ensemble, Microsoft could have, and really should have, done better... much better.

As others have already commented, this thing is all about the screen; huge size, with lush colors and sharp detail. Somehow, it seems much bigger than its 28 inch size and it really is immersive. And bright; while I was setting up Windows and transferring files, I had a colorful autumn wall paper on the screen, set at 45% brightness. After a while, I started feeling like the colors were a little too intense... I got around to pairing the dial and immediately showed my wife how to use it to vary the brightness. She felt the same way about the screen and has been experimenting with comfortable brightness settings (depending upon the ambient room light from a west-facing window). I think that managing the brightness of this screen is important given its 500 nit capability and advise some caution in this regard, just like being careful where you set the volume of your earbuds...

The physical configuration is, of course, the same as the original Studio. The screen is relatively thin for its size, the bezels are moderate and don't encroach on the active screen area very much at all. The "Zero Force" hinge works as advertised with a light touch. The almost featureless base hides what sounds like a pair of speakers and, as before, has all its port arrayed on the back edge. And that's a problem; I can understand svelte design, but what a pain! To plug in an SD card or a thumb drive I had to reach awkwardly to feel along the back edge or get up and walk around to the side so I could see the ports. Why Microsoft couldn't relocate one USB port and the SD card slot to either the side or (gasp!) the front of the Studio is beyond me! Suffice to say that I've bought a couple of extension cables (1/2 m male-to-female) so that my wife can use the ports without having to fumble around at the back:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FM4ZSD2/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In terms of performance, my initial reaction is that the Studio 2 does not disappoint. File transfers were speedy using USB-3 and apps open quickly just as one should expect them to. Regarding graphics, the principal reason that I "allowed" myself to be upsold from the base model to the mid-range model (32GB / 1TB) was my belated realization that the lower end model had GTX1060 graphics rather than GTX1070 graphics. The Microsoft website doesn't make this clear at all and there's a noticeable drop in graphics performance between the 1070 and the 1060 (1070: 11255, 1060: 9017. Passmark average G3D scores). So, $500 poorer but happy with that decision.

Another interesting observation is that the WiFi on the Studio 2 is very robust and (so far) has proven itself to be very reliable. My wife's previous computer, a mid-range Dell all-in-one, would frequently break contact with our home router and was just slow. By contrast, the Studio 2 is much faster and I didn't notice any disconnects or limiting. My wife even commented on it.

That's about all that I can comment on, for the moment. I'll try to check the pen for "jaggles" if my wife lets me!

batty, Marty, Kumabjorn and 2 others like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've sat just running demos on the one at Best Buy because the screen is freaking awesome. It does look much better than anything else in the store - and looks so big - must be the 3:2 aspect ratio that tricks the mind.

Good luck getting any quality time on "momma's computer."

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve S

<<...Good luck getting any quality time on "momma's computer."...>>

...Don't I know it! The protective charms have already been cast...!

dstrauss, Bronsky and nnthemperor like this.
  6. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

On the contrary, I find it a necessity (not just a form over function choice) to have all the ports on the back (except for maybe the SD card). It's essential for me to tug the keyboard beneath the screen while leveling down the hinge, so the front is reserved to store the keyboard. Having USB ports in the front would certainly compromise that capability. The side cannot have ports for the same reason (the hinge would block them all when leveled down). This leaves only the back truly open at all times. It is kind of a necessity to buy a USB extension hub.

Marty likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Are there no DP ports like on the Surface Dock?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

8. Steve S

<<...Are there no DP ports like on the Surface Dock?..>>

No, but there is a USB-C port:

"...4 x USB 3.0 (one high power port), full-size SD™ card reader (SDXC) compatible, USB-C, 3.5 mm headphone jack, 1 Gigabit Ethernet port..."

<<...On the contrary, I find it a necessity (not just a form over function choice) to have all the ports on the back (except for maybe the SD card). It's essential for me to tug the keyboard beneath the screen while leveling down the hinge, so the front is reserved to store the keyboard. Having USB ports in the front would certainly compromise that capability...>>

You speak as if something is always plugged into this port. First, note that I am only talking about one port; it's perfectly OK with me for the other ports to remain where they are. Second, speaking only for myself, I would be using the side or front port only occasionally, primarily for file transfers and the like; most of the time, the port would be empty. That wouldn't impede the screen or keyboard position at all, and you would still have the other ports along the back edge...

Kumabjorn and dstrauss like this.
  9. Steve S

Good news and bad news about "jaggles."

The bad news: Using the approach of slowly drawing a 45° line, jaggles still occur.

The good news: The amplitude (or size) of these jaggles is now really small. In some cases, there was a question in my mind about the steadiness of my hand at such a slow speed as opposed to true jaggles. But I did enough trials to prove that they are still (minimally) there. Of course, draw just a little faster and they disappear.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  10. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

First the bad news: they're not called jaggles :D They're called jaggies with an i.

YVerloc likes this.