Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Azzart: Great video!

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Anyone who wishes to use a stylus with a Mac can just get a Wacom Cintiq --- the problem is, that isn't particularly portable (though I'm still considering just rigging up a bag w/ the new 13 Wacom and a Mac Mini).

The way for Apple to spin it is to note that it's been an option since the first Cintiqs came out (maybe before --- wasn't there some other pen display previous to that?) and that anyone who wanted one could have one long before the Surface Studio came out.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Could you share the autohotkey script you are using to get the customizable radial menu (1:42) to popup when you hit the side switch and also the sidebar (1:30) that allows drag and drop of command buttons?

That's a really cool setup!

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Thanks. I really suck at filming and I do it so rarely I always forget to try and buy some equipment to make a better performance.
    At least after buying Filmora I can make a decent video editing. :D

Problem with mac and cintiq, aside from not having tools like those I mentioned is that it doesn't really handle touch gestures properly.
    In photoshop in particular all touch gestures are a windows only feature.

5. Azzart

Uhm, for the RadialMenu I don't have anything special: I mean, it's just the usual radialmenu from Incrediclint found in this forum, invoked with a mouse middle button click from the pen in my case.
    I'm not sure I get what you mean for the toolbar: it's Toolbar Creator from lblb. It doesn't allow drag and drop I fear, that takes quite some time to build I have to admit but once set I have yet to find something as well made as that. :D

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Stupid Surface Dial tricks

Azzart and Marty like this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry, I must be seeing things! I thought I saw you drag and reposition the buttons, so I assumed you were using a some crazy new custom-coded Autohotkey scripts. :D

It's still cool nonetheless!

Oh one other question. Even though you mentioned visual quality problems on the PT201Q, it seems you are still using it as your main drawing device. What are the main advantages making you stick with it?

8. Azzart

The visual quality in the end is probably the lesser of the problems with it... pen jittery and interference between pen and touch (this one seems to be a special problem only mine has) are much more problematic.

BUT

-It's a 19" display, which is better than working on the small 13" of the companion.
    -it's the only cheap tablet that came with touch when I bought it. And I can't live without touch anymore.
    -even buying it oversea from amazon it costed me a quarted than what I would have paid for a cintiq 22 touch, so I don't mind too much its problems considering the cost.
    -it has built-in speakers. Which is good when I don't want to use the external 2 speakers + subwoofer: practically any time I'm listening to something that's not music. :)

Speaking of speakers... anyone heard how are those mounted on the Studio?
    By the way, where are them?!?

Marty likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Azzart have you ever tried using Lazy Nezumi Pro with your PT201Q? I wonder whether it fixes your jitters.

10. Azzart

I use it.
    I used it on the surface pro 3 too. It can be helpful to to reduce the problem but I noticed it really taxes the cpu with its smoothing algorithm.
    After getting accustomed to clip studio I can say it's much better there because I can use a low level of smoothing when I just want that bit more stability while drawing and a combination of smoothing and post correction when I really want to make my lines shine.
    All without it excessively making use of the cpu. :)

surfaceproartist likes this.