Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@djductape I would wait until CES in January before making any decisions. Maybe Wacom will announce the follow-up to the Cintiq 27QHD then. Maybe we will also have some information following Wacom's quarterly business report tomorrow. But this is all just speculation, no hard facts.

siddhartth likes this.
  2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

The interesting part is that I'm half Brazilian, so I should be able to speak Portuguese too since I've been used to hear it since infancy.
    Never used it much though so I ended up knowing English better than what should have been my real second language. -.-

I too think that wacom is just about to announce am upgraded cintiq 27.
    In my case I will still go for the Surface Studio because I loved my experience with my past surfaces: both construction quality and customer service were on a completely different level, which is something that has a serious weight when you're making an investment in professional tools.

darkmagistric and cmenice like this.
  3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Personally, if you are happy with the way things are going with the CC2 I would stick with it. I'm sure the Surface Studio will be a solid machine for many years (at least 4-5), but it is a first generation product.

In terms of power and performance the Surface Studio will definitely be better, but it might not make much of a difference depending on the extend of your work.

I already have a Cintiq, but I love what I see from the Surface Studio so far. I almost preordered one, but I would need to sell the Cintiq to help fund the purchase and a Cintiq is a niche product I don't think I could move locally. So instead of that hassle right now, I decided to build a mini desktop(I needed a new machine since I'm moving away from Mac) rig to pair with my Cintiq. The mini desktop should give me time to watch what happens with the Studio. I can make a more informed decision when generation 2 comes along.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

About the Dial sliding off the screen, this can happen under two circumstances - Dirty Screen (Finger Prints, Dust) or Dirty Bottom of the Dial (Dust)....make sure you keep it clean :)

5. djductape

djductape Pen Pal - Newbie

Very good point! TY!

6. djductape

djductape Pen Pal - Newbie

I love the cc2 but the performance with video is awful but thats what i get with the i5 model. It was designed for imaging not video. I did check out the Surface Studio again today. The base model rendered my premiere pro video timeline in a matter of seconds compared to 5 minutes on my mac and CC2. I was impressed. It was only a 2 minute video, full HD, about 15 gigs of data. The people at the microsoft store think im nuts but they are not in the market to buy one, so they do not understand. Very good point as buying the first gen model isn't the best idea :) I measured the surface and it will barely fit on my two tier studio desk (its for audio) lol If anyone needs to know, it stands 21.5" tall at the max verticle height. When in drafting mode its 6.25" tall & 17.5" in length.

Thanks again!

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Where I live we call them Japanese.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

8. djas

djas Graffiti User

I wonder has anyone tried the 'connect' app using Continuum from a WM10 device to the Studio using virtual desktop?

Also, how about Visio & any other technical diagraming softwares.

Might utilize this rather than the Hub. Possibilties.....hmm.

9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty And @Kumabjorn
    In case if you are in a creative job that has nothing to do with inking, Like video/photo editor, magazine/news paper publisher, architect/engineer, 3D sculptor/modeller, then surface studio is exactly the professional device for you. And you should buy one if your savings allow it and help Microsoft break even with the cost of research and development that went into it.

I got slowly but surely swayed towards iPad 12.9 or Specially towards Apple pencil over a period of 15 months, at the time both iPadpro and Surface pro 4 weren't announced in India. From diehard surface fan to pencil admirer, Since no surface was ever released in India before and iPadpro was assuredly reaching India.

I started beginning to make up my mind for an inevitable iPadpro purchase. With following self conciliatory excuses -
    • i don't need USB ports, it's for taking lecture notes, that's the only purpose of this device.
    • Doesn't matter what the OS, is i should be able to do what I meant to do comfortably. inking is what I need and iPadpro does it perfectly for my standards.
    • i will be able to buy 3D4 medical anatomy new version 5, pocket anatomy, the version on windows 10 is old version 3.
    • i hate the high IAF of the surface pen.
    But when Surface did come to India, I frantically began to debate it with myself and research for any useful fully featured note taking Apps iOS. But iOS a platform famous for it's App library doesn't have any Apps for such a basic function.
    i hope the note takers here will know the difference between, just an inking App (penultimate) vs a note taking software (full desktop version Evernote/Onenote) vs a dedicated research software like Zotero. Need less to say, Great inking is not equal to useful notes.

Finally i decided my purpose is not to ink comfortably but to use digital ink to take lecture notes, the handwriting doesn't have to be pretty or comfortable or even legible, if audio can be synced with it, and if computer can recognize and convert it into text on a later date. if iPadpro apps can not do it, Apple pencil in all it's glory is kind of useless for me then. SP4 DID WHAT I NEEDED, I WENT WITH IT, COMPROMISING ON THE INKING. YES I CAN NOT LEARN CALLIGRAPHY ON SURFACE BUT THAT IS NOT AN URGENT REQUIREMENT.

similarly all those who are beginning to get swayed by the great surface studio will have to decide, for what purpose do they want the surface studio. I GUESS UNLIKE NOTETAKERS ARTISTS GIVE MUCH MORE PREFERENCE TO INKING. The way i see it between Wacom cintiq (new ones) and Surface studio, both are Windows 10 compatible, only difference is, INKING VS DIAL. Is dial more important than the superior inking that Wacom cintiq gives you? i see dial and apple pencil in the same light, both are great innovations but the short comings of machines using them make them useless too.

is the great display and the dial worth looking over current Surface pen short comings? there is still hope-
    • probably Next generation of Cintiq too will release an onscreen dial, like the one surface studio uses.
    • Similarly, I am waiting for a surface line to adopt the special capacitive signal emitters that apple pencil nib uses.
    • A full featured Note taking App may come to iOS in future. @Azzart is also making a point for bringing more professional apps to iOS, to make iPadpro actually a "pro" machine.
    Also, developers are these days are very slow to latch on the new hardware developments. look at iPadpro, there are barely any apps optimised for Apple pencil and the larger display. New hardware such as Apple pencil and surface dial, Macbook pro touch bar, will be much more useful once adobe, onenote, Autodesk, office bring software features to them.

I know many note takers who bought iPadpro and later had to buy a Surfacebook too, Because they really did need a full computer with note taking and research software. Who is to say, the pen artists who buy Surface studio will not ultimately end up buying a cintiq for better inking experience anyway. And the surface studio will be reduced to a secondary monitor. I think @thatcomicsguy also thinks along the similar lines. i believe @cmenice has similar thoughts in mind.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  10. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

the backwards bent that your picture shows, will be way less acute (literally it will be obtuse angled if you just reverse it, which is quite easy thanks to the reversible design of the jack.
    [​IMG]

i think your use case might be more laptop like. i use my Surface mostly as a tablet PC.

I think right angle jack perfect solution for a for A tablet/slate PC like surface pro.

we often say in this site the old wise saying - your mileage may vary, but our experiences are diametrically opposite.

may be both options should be there in the after market accessories.