Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm curious to see if they can develop Sketchable to a more production-ready level.
    I started to look at it in a more interested way after the presentation of surface studio. :)

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I thought the bottom is rubberized?..>>

...I actually thought to look at that when I was test-driving the Studio. The pad on the base of the Dial looked like it could be either a soft-ish rubber or possibly silicone. However, the surface finish of the pad, despite looking textured, is actually quite smooth. If the material of the pad is "grippy" enough, that would help the Dial stay in place.

Regarding slippage, if the pad has any oil on it at all, perhaps because people have been touching it, or if the Studio screen is oily (for the same reason), it's likely that the Dial will slip. This may be what you're seeing play out. If the pad is kept reasonably clean, it probably won't be a problem... maybe...!

HOWEVER, one concern that I have not seen anyone raise is the issue of grit on the pad. If the dial is set down on a dirty surface, and then subsequently placed on the Studio screen, it seems to me that there could be a risk of scratching the screen. Something to think about...

siddhartth and Azzart like this.
  3. djductape

djductape Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry if this was already asked, as this thread is 41 pages deep LOL.

How does everyone think the surface studio (top specs) compares to the Wacom Mobile Studio Pro. (Top Specs). What does everyone lean towards between the two?

Here are the main differences from what my research finds.

Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16
    i7 3.3 ghz with 2 cores
    16 gig ram
    USB C
    4 gig GPU
    16" display
    8k levels pen sensitivity
    Express keys

Surface Studio
    i7 2.7ghz with 4 cores
    32 gig ram
    USB 3.0
    4 gig GPU
    28" display
    1k levels pen sensitivity
    Surface dial (not helpful compared to express keys)

I am personally wanting to purchase for:

Video Editing
    Raw Photo Editing
    Audio work (not cpu intensive)
    Photoshop
    Illustrator

Let me know your thoughts on which would be a better bet for a new design workstation.
    Info other than blanket specs is all i can find. I tried the surface studio and the pen wobble is still an issue as others have stated sadly.

4. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hadn't thought about grit before, but indeed certainly something of concern/to watch out for. Don't want to know what MS would charge for a screen replacement...

There are a few new ads for the Surface Dial, see below. Nothing really new to see though.

Regarding slippage, in the 'Mental Canvas' ad, I can now also clearly see @Azzart 's mentioned slight slippage several times, bummer. :(

The ads for 'Drawboard' and 'Staffpad' also make me think that Dell's original 2014 concept of a ring-shaped dial instead of a solid block might have been a better design. I would hope that we will see additional third-party accessories in the future that are focused less on design but add some functionality akin to the ExpressKey remote.

Slightly off-topic, but regarding add-on controls here is something somewhat interesting, though aimed only at Lightroom. Loupedeck Lightroom controller. MIght have been interesting if it were a universal/customizable and wireless solution.
    http://www.loupedeck.com/
    [​IMG]

Marty and WillAdams like this.
  5. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I finally broke down and bought an Azio Levetron Mech5 keyboard for my son's gaming machine just so I could get the D-pad, but seriously considered getting a MIDI controller.

I think that there's going to be some interesting developments for customized controllers in the near future, and am looking forward to it. (and my Contour Design ShuttleXPress is going back down to the basement to be paired w/ my CNC machine).

kvoram likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

On the topic of art/production controllers, I would also just like to add the standalone ExpressKey Remote can used with any PC:

So really, we have tons of options for additional peripherals to use with the Studio.

It's a creator's paradise out there! ;)

7. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I think it depends a lot on how you will use the device. Do you travel or work mobile a lot? Then probably the MSP16. Do you work in an office? Then Surface Studio, IMO.

One thing I would be really concerned about with the MSP16 is quality control. There are endless stories of Wacom's Companion devices failing and being very expensive to fix. Wacom makes a great and durable pen display, but I wouldn't buy a Wacom computer. They don't have a track record.

On the other side, the Surface devices have been plagued with hardware issues at times as well. Here is the key difference. Microsoft takes care of their users hardware issues in my experience. They also offer Microsoft Complete warranty for extended coverage (including accidental) for a cost.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Yeah, that's why I continue to mention it.
    Back when I bought it, I tried it on the surface pro 3 installing the Wacom drivers: it worked but the panel didn't allow me to setup the keys.
    Now though you can just install it on anything and it will fully work.

I have to win against my reticence to film myself talking in English and do a short video to show how I like to use my current rig for drawing.

9. djductape

djductape Pen Pal - Newbie

Definetly home studio use. no mobile. I have the wacom cc2 and have been quite impressed with it as a computer, minus the low specs.

I have probably lucked out though and you are right, their support and customer service is awful. they also locked some aspects of the bios Which is annoying.

Do you think the power and performance between the two computers will make a difference? I know the price makes one in my wallet :)

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I have to win against my reticence to film myself talking in English...>>

...You may or may not speak English well, but you certain write English well. Certainly better than I could write in Italian!

* What do you call a person who can speak three languages? Multi-lingual.
    * What do you call a person who can speak two languages? Bi-lingual.
    * What do you call a person who speaks one language? American!

hiramkey, djas, Marty and 1 other person like this.