Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Very true...

(pause)

Very true. :D

Ok wait, so do you mean that because you're into manga/anime, that you're exposed cool new ideas far before they hit mainstream culture, or that even manga/anime is decades behind uh...whatever you're exposed to? ;)

And if the latter, tell me what you're reading man!!

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

We are having a hard time keeping this thread on-point...

Basically, I was a driven manga/anime fiend back in the 80's, when nobody had even heard of the stuff. Literally *anything* with a manga style was gold in my eyes. Now, forever later, when Japanese comics and animation are a normal part of Western pop culture, and I find very little of it holds my interest.

I recently tried to read a couple of the big titles, One Piece and Naruto, went and bought a bunch of manga collections, and all I could think was, "Wow. These guys are seriously burned out. 10 pages a week will destroy even the most talented cartoonist. These read and look like a sprawl of deadline-inspired short cut tricks. Done badly. Yikes! Manga chews artists up and spits them out."

I'm always looking for something cool, but it's such a morass of mediocrity and downright crap, I find it too much work to even explore these days.

Stein's Gate was tolerable fun, but... It drove me nuts that a fallen satellite could sit on a rooftop for weeks without anybody dealing with it - other than to put police tape around the site. Like so much anime, it was scripted by *very* sheltered personalities who had probably never been in relationships or done any living beyond the safety of their drafting boards.

But seriously...

If we want to talk anime, let's do it in a different thread. It could get annoying for people around here real fast. :)

siddhartth and jubey like this.
  3. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

I get the comments that this isn't a great demo in terms of having relevant questions answered. It's not.

What I like about the demo is this was the first instance of someone actually making art on a Surface Studio. All the other videos I've seen are of people talking and making scribbles. We shouldn't really care about those. We make notes and make art, we need demos that show what this system can do.

I'm personally very tempted by this device, but I'm going to sit this generation out. I already have a Wacom 27QHD. I am in the market for a Surface Book though

siddhartth likes this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wonder what the reaction video will be when they learn the base price is $3000?

Swayed, yes. Easy, no. (gottcha).

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Hmm, that's not what your son said.

Balbutio ergo sum

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

***** is back

nnthemperor and dstrauss like this.
  7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm not sure I get all the subtleties of your swaying comments, damn foreign language. -.-

Koryand'R and nnthemperor like this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Back to the surface studio and the video from adobe max.

I think using that machine in such a simple way is just not giving enough honor.
    Aside from the fact that staying on a desk all day with a keyobard in front of the huge screen, one hand on the keyboard and the other arm stretched over the screen is something that will take its toll over time on your spine and shoulder.
    Attach something like a wacom expresskey remote on it if you need shortcuts for heavens sake!
    And add some onscreen toolbar. It will make a completely different workflow, moreso if you add a radial menu.
    I wonder how I could put the dial to use but I'm sure I can find a way to take andvantage of it. (Also, am I the only one who noticed it slides down the screen in every video, no matther the inclination?)

siddhartth likes this.
  9. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Only in theory! DisplayLink had shown prototypes of their latest chips that can do this but there is no actual DisplayLink-enabled product that you can buy that is capable of 4k @ 60Hz. The most advanced DisplayLink dock that you can buy is the Dell D3100 with the DisplayLink DL-5910 chip which still does only 30Hz at 4K.
    That fact that DisplayLInk has shown such prototypes for over a year now and there are still no products with it, makes me wonder if there are any issues with it, why nobody uses those newer chips. DisplayLink sells only their chips, they don't make hardware.

I thought the bottom is rubberized? Cnet also writes about a no-slide bottom. Ok, Cnet isn't the most trustworthy source, but this looks like it shouldn't slide:
    [​IMG]

wataru likes this.
  10. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

For heavy design apps, I definitely recommend expresskey remote over the dial. (same price I think) It fully replaces a keyboard for me.

Don't see how I could set up all the hotkey combos for ZBrush or Photoshop on the dial.

However, some people don't need all that. Just look at the great work people (such as yourself) do with Procreate.

Simple apps will make better use of the dial, like Sketchable has.

WillAdams and Azzart like this.