Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I guess this is as good a place as any for a MAJOR rant -

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF REVIEWERS TALKING ABOUT WHAT GREAT HARDWARE MICROSOFT IS PRODUCING, BUT "EEEWWWW, IT RUNS WINDOWS!"

This probably deserves its own thread, but why should they get away with such BS! Other than better built in PDF support, there is NOTHING MacOS does that is better than Windows, and it sure as h#!! can't do touch or pen input. Sorry, but I just had to get that off my chest.

RANT OFF.

2. dstrauss

Jeff - next time you get to talk to this gentleman, please give him our collective thanks for an incredible job on Surface (all products) design. They are truly where Apple was ten years ago - far ahead of the industry design curve, and building drool worthy products. For all my b@#!&n' around here, they've kept me solidly in the Surface camp since Surface Pro. They are seriously kicking Apple's "can't innovate my a$$" all over the schoolyard these days.

PS - also ask him for a smart frame (bezeless) design when docked to keyboard or type cover...:D

djas, hiramkey, thatcomicsguy and 3 others like this.
  3. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

At least with the current mediocre Macbook Pro refresh at least some of those reviewers offer some actual criticism in Apple's direction as well instead of the usual "look how much thinner, lighter, shinier the new one is".

Back to topic: If any of you lucky souls with a Surface Studio in a nearby store takes another look at it, it would be nice if you go on the lookout for the Surface Ergonomic Keyboard as well. Would like to have some impression of that one as well (if it is even on display anywhere).

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I'm hoping to see him this week at the MVP Summit :)

dstrauss likes this.
  5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm a big admirer of Groene too. :)

For all you folks who are into industrial design and product conception, here's an interesting talk Ralf gave about the origins of Surface:

6. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I haven't seen a charging jack as well designed as surface pro4. it might seem funny or even very unimportant detail. but it makes a world of difference, when note taking and using in tablet mode.
    [​IMG]
    especially when you contrast it with the painfully dumb charging methods the competition employs. I am taking about Apple obviously - pencil and iPad. Also extremely thought full is the second usb charging slot n Surface charger brick, that let's you charge your phone and even your dumb iPad with the same wall outlet. Surface is the best example of industrial design. Apple iPad is a gigantic machine and Apple decided for some reason that it doesn't need a kickstand. your hands are always occupied. what's the point if technology and engineering if i have to hold an expensive tablet, just the way i had to hold a novel. What the hell Apple?

long story short, these are the features for which Microsoft deserves to be thanked for, but i don't see any reviewer mention it-
    • Charging jack
    • Second USB slot in the charging brick
    • kickstand
    So please thank anybody you meet in the surface team for these features.

and also forward this humble request-
    [​IMG]
    @jnjroach you are literally our inside ma. and thank you for that.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
    nnthemperor and jnjroach like this.
  7. cmenice

cmenice Scribbler - Standard Member

Nice demo here

thatcomicsguy and wataru like this.
  8. dstrauss

At about 50 minutes he touches on how they designed the pen and "clicking" the top to open a page for making quick notes - which is great - but bring that to a moleskin size device MS - we're not going to carry our SP4's or SB's around on the off chance we'll have a great random thought now and again...

nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.
  9. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Excellent demo. and the video also demonstrated the point i mentioned above. How thoughtfully the surface device is designed. in the video i noticed the extreme kink because of the poor charging jack design of Macbook.
    [​IMG]
    this will destroy the charging cable within six months. which is very usual with Apple charging cables for iPhones too. This is what makes surface charging jack so good - it's adaptability.
    Pray that ipadminipro comes.
    And Apple designers learn a thing or too from Surface team industrial designers. what i will prefer is they convert the pencil into a pen by increasing it's width to accommodate a battery as big as Apple pencil, so that over all length can be shortened. then attach a pocket clip. so that it becomes practical to carry in your pocket. place the ipadminipro in the Jacket or hip pocket of your pants. then you are ready to go.

10. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sorry after reading the latest article on this site, I just had to post this:

The original Surface Studio....

[​IMG]
    The VAIO PCV-LX900 (released in 2001!)

Was this not amazingly forward thinking?!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Looking at those pics, is anyone else feeling the same "I want this" vibes? ;)

thatcomicsguy, Azzart, kvoram and 5 others like this.