Surface Studio / Studio 2 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Seriously? Like she doesn't even use a phone? You're a lucky man...I cannot seem to find any girls not nose-deep into their facebook/instagram/sms feeds every half-second. ;)

2. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Mine tags me on a facebook comment any time she wants to show me the picture of a cat.
    Even if she's in another room just a few meters away. :D

Bronsky, nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  3. gcoupe

gcoupe Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Apart from StaffPad, there's no musicians' software on the list, which is a pity. However, having said that, I realise that it's a tough sell to get software companies to commit to a major redesign of their UI. Somehow, I can't imagine Steinberg rushing to adapt Cubase to support the Dial natively. The best we can expect is some clunky emulation of mouse commands and shortcut keys. Adobe are probably similar with Photoshop.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. Marty

After doing a bit more research into emerging touchscreen technologies, I believe the new digitizer on the Studio might not actually be a scaled-up version of the ITO grid found on previous N-Trig devices, but a new metal mesh grid.

(TDR 2016 report)
    [​IMG]

The reasoning for this is that ITO has a relatively high resistance (i.e. "low conductivity" on the above chart) that would be impractical to drive at 28" area without introducing signal distortions and also is difficult to pattern to fine resolutions.

On the other hand, the latest generation of metal mesh touch layers would be cheaper to manufacture (at large screen sizes), offer a higher visible light transmission / sheet resistance ratio (VLT/SR), and most all, would have a smaller feature size for finer touch/pen resolution:

(metal mesh tech overview, slides #21,15)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I realized that a little explanation might be in order for the 2nd slide (as not all of us are EE geeks! :p).

This shows an SEM (scanning electron micrograph) of a 'node' (think one point of touch/pen resolution) both from the bird's eye (top) and cross-section (bottom). What is impressive to note is the regularity/sharpness of the structure (particularly at the junction) and its feature width of ~30um. Other companies claim they can even hit ~5um!

There are already tablet-sized metal mesh digitizers on the market, as shown by a recent Eve development update:

"We chose a metal-mesh touch panel solution. This is a newer technology, slowly replacing the older ITO touch film technology. Metal-mesh is significantly more expensive to manufacture but gives Eve V much more precise touch capabilities and offers better pen performance as well."

This leads me to believe that both the iPad Pro, and the upcoming SP5 both use a metal mesh touchscreen for increased pen precision.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  5. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Nice research! Thanks for sharing!

6. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

Alright, so I exaggerated a bit. About two years ago she was forced to give up her Samsung flip phone because the power connector busted. Finally got her to get a smart phone so she can text as well as call; forget emailing from the phone. Actually, shes a big fan of "OK Google".

7. Marty

Uh, some bad news guys...Brad Colbow did a short hands-on with the Studio showing pretty bad diagonal jitter:

[​IMG]

Which of course pretty much contradicts everything that has been said on the thread so far...so any idea what's going on?

Did any of you guys test diagonal line jitter in Paint?

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

@Marty, Can you estimate approximate LPI for ITO vs Metal Mesh touch grid?

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

LOL, that's not bad diagonal jitter, especially using an app with no anti aliasing like Paint (that dude is such a dumb ass sometimes.... INK Sketchpad is right there yet he chooses to demo MS Paint!).

Try that same test in Surface Book. It's waaay worse. And with apps like CSP and even Photoshop CC, the jitter is less noticeable.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Did any of you guys test diagonal line jitter in Paint?..>>

...I did my assessment in Sketchable, and I stand by my observation because I didn't rely on hand steadiness. I used a straightedge, so I know that the nib tracked straight.

My bad for not thinking to take a picture of the line (and I had my cell phone with me, too!)...