Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Steve:

Last week, I saw the Surface Studio 2 w/ 32GB & 1TB on sale for $3.6K and change, figured it was worth more than 3 iPhone XS+ and bought it to replace my aging HP tower. Color me impressed. Among my nits as a left-hander, it would be nice to re-orient OneNote pages while handwriting, but I digress.

I’ve searched high and low and had 3 non productive rounds with MS, but nobody can tell me which usb 3 port is the “high-powered” one. Have you found that answer any where?

Thanks in advance.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Nice purchase. Congratulations.

Bishop likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<...nobody can tell me which usb 3 port is the “high-powered” one. Have you found that answer any where?..>>

@Bishop : This is the Studio, but the port capabilities are the same:

Studio 2 Ports.jpg

Also, I just verified that the end port is the enhanced USB port. If you look very carefully at the case, you will see a "+" sign printed above the USB symbol next to the port. All the other USB ports simply have the USB symbol. Hard to see, and another reason why I dislike white on silver as a color scheme...!

Bishop likes this.
  4. Bishop

Thank you sir. I've been doing some sketchnoting projects and the screen real estate is amazing.

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Bishop

upload_2019-5-1_17-49-57.png

"I have SEEN the light!" - and the plus sign.

You are a scholar and a gentleman. Many thanks.

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

UPDATE: 03May19 (**Sigh** It's always something...!)

<<...I've been doing some sketchnoting projects and the screen real estate is amazing...>>

Yeah. I get maybe 5 minutes a month to sit in front of our Studio 2... because I'm backing the drive up... and the screen size and resolution never fail to impress me. You'll be happy to know that since I brought it home last November, it has worked flawlessly; it appears that Microsoft has successfully addressed the gremlins that plagued the original Studio design. However, I'm still happy that I signed up for Microsoft Complete!

Having said that, I now have to admit to a mea culpa...

<<...During the the recovery efforts, I noticed that the 1TB D: drive was grayed out in My PC. Exploring further in Storage Manager, the D: volume was reported as "No media (present)." A few other checks seemed to indicate that the D: drive was completely unresponsive... i.e., dead...>>

To make a long story short, I was mistaken. The Studio 2 is running perfectly and as intended. My confusion stemmed from two things. 1) I thought that the Studio 2 had two installed drives, C: and D:. During my conversation with Microsoft Support, there was some confusion. I understood the Tech to say that the C: Drive was two hardware volumes (which I reported here) but upon some reflection, I decided to look into that some more. This time, though, I looked at Device Manager. Our (I use that term loosely) Studio 2 has a single 1 TB Toshiba SSD, KXG50ZNV1T02 NVMe PCIe 3 "super fast." I didn't question the Tech at the time because I was still thinking about two drives. However, it was the second thing that I was focused on and that really had me confused... 2) My wife uses an HP Officejet Pro. It's connected to the Studio 2 via USB, of course. However, when it's connected, it shows up in This PC with a drive letter (D)! This is unlike any other peripheral device in my experience (except, of course, data drives). When you double-click the D icon, it says "please insert media." Suffice to say that it took about an hour on the phone with Microsoft Support before we discovered this peculiarity! Once it was apparent, everything seemed to make sense...

So all's well after all. I'm actually glad that it was my mistake and not an actual hardware fault; the Studio 2 is no fun to lug around...!

JoeS likes this.
  7. Bishop

Ditto