Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. djas

djas Graffiti User

I love Miracast-enabled TVs/Monitors/Windows 10 PCs. I make use of the capability both at work and home. No cables needed.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...And, in tribute to @Azzart , I made sure to buy Microsoft Complete... And we're saving the box...>>

Well, I guess this was sort of predictable.

Over the weekend, we thought we had a near disaster with the files for my wife's book, caused primarily by the flakiness of Windows when trying to copy and paste files, aided and abetted by Windows' failure to fully display all of the desktop icons. During the the recovery efforts, I noticed that the 1TB D: drive was grayed out in My PC. Exploring further in Storage Manager, the D: volume was reported as "No media (present)." A few other checks seemed to indicate that the D: drive was completely unresponsive... i.e., dead.

Fortunately, my wife hasn't been using the D: drive (she's been using off-line storage for her manuscript versions) and I don't get any time on the Studio 2 (previously agreed-to ground rules), so I have no idea when this happened. We've had a few power outages this winter, but I have the Studio 2 plugged into an APC UPS with surge protection, so I don't think that's the cause.

Since my wife is closing in on the completion of her book, I've decided not to rock the boat and to leave things alone, for now. The rest of the Studio 2 continues to work great. The screen is still flawless and response is excellent considering that the average size of one page of this book is ~94MB... and the book has over 250 pages...!

Interestingly, I may not even bother with Microsoft Complete. A decent 1TB drive isn't expensive and we actually have several lying around the house. And iFixIt has a set of nifty instructions on how to upgrade both the SSD and the HD in a Studio... and I have the tools. It could take as little as an hour. However, if it's a MoBo failure, it may need to go back, although I could still just use an external drive...

I guess I can't complain; @Azzart , you warned me about this...!

Eltos likes this.
  3. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Yikes!
    Warnings shouldn't really apply at that dollar amount tho. For that kinda dough you should be able to hit it with a tank round.

4. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

What's exactly you're wife's job again? That feels like a page full of things to see. :D

By the way I still have to even see a Surface Studio in the wild. Microsoft clearly hates me.
    Anyway the Studio 2 is finally available in Europe so some days ago I converted the price (tax included) of the middle range model from Euro to Dollar: in USA you'll pay at worst $4620 with taxes, in Italy/Europe that same model would be $5780. Isn't it lovely? :rolleyes:

5. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The joy of value added tax.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

6. Azzart

Naaah, there's more than that, if it was just the vat at 22% it would be "just" 5040 against 4620. Too good to be true.
    I'd bet my coins on the horse named Greed.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. djas

djas Graffiti User

In Singapore, after tax: :(

Screenshot_20190226-083925.jpg

8. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, my Studio died again. This time the monitor won't power on. In my case, if I project the computer to a second screen with 'use second screen only' mode, and detach the second screen while the Studio is at sleep, there is a fare chance that the Studio's monitor won't ever power on again. I've escalated this issue on a MS support ticket. If it's still merely a replacement, I'll for sure sell it this time.

There is no way to retrieve my files unless I void the warranty and open the base, which means lost work and time (again). I've only opened the box since Christmas and this is already my sixth replacement - still dies within a couple months like its predecessors. Worst investment for my time and money.

9. Azzart

It's cheap compared to Europe.:p
    That converted to Euro is 3620, but we pay for that model €4200. Which equates to SG$6440.
    We win, yay!

djas likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Higher salaries for Microsoft European employees could also factor in.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

nnthemperor likes this.