Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Are there no DP ports like on the Surface Dock?..>>

No, but there is a USB-C port:

"...4 x USB 3.0 (one high power port), full-size SD™ card reader (SDXC) compatible, USB-C, 3.5 mm headphone jack, 1 Gigabit Ethernet port..."

<<...On the contrary, I find it a necessity (not just a form over function choice) to have all the ports on the back (except for maybe the SD card). It's essential for me to tug the keyboard beneath the screen while leveling down the hinge, so the front is reserved to store the keyboard. Having USB ports in the front would certainly compromise that capability...>>

You speak as if something is always plugged into this port. First, note that I am only talking about one port; it's perfectly OK with me for the other ports to remain where they are. Second, speaking only for myself, I would be using the side or front port only occasionally, primarily for file transfers and the like; most of the time, the port would be empty. That wouldn't impede the screen or keyboard position at all, and you would still have the other ports along the back edge...

Kumabjorn and dstrauss like this.
  2. Steve S

Good news and bad news about "jaggles."

The bad news: Using the approach of slowly drawing a 45° line, jaggles still occur.

The good news: The amplitude (or size) of these jaggles is now really small. In some cases, there was a question in my mind about the steadiness of my hand at such a slow speed as opposed to true jaggles. But I did enough trials to prove that they are still (minimally) there. Of course, draw just a little faster and they disappear.

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

First the bad news: they're not called jaggles :D They're called jaggies with an i.

YVerloc likes this.
  4. Steve S

<<...they're not called jaggles…>>

...Sez you. I've been using the term for a long time...

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised they didn't just put additional USB-C (and A) ports on the sides of the display. For that kind of device, that would be the most elegant solution since it would basically mimic how the smaller surfaces have their port access.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I find with the Pro 5 era Surface Pen...while definitely improved from the Pro 4 Era pen.....the Pro 5 pen overall still works better the more zoomed in you are. Like if you are trying to draw or do the Jaggle test....double your current zoom level and the results should be noticeable better.

7. Steve S

<<...if you are trying to draw or do the Jaggle test....double your current zoom level and the results should be noticeable better...>>

...OK, will try that the next time I get a chance. Wife says that will be next month...

darkmagistric and Azzart like this.
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I want a video! :D

9. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

The Verge reports a Surface Monitor could be released in 2020. So the ultimate one device solution will finally be realized? (Surface Pro + Surface Studio Monitor with beefy GPU, ONE device, too good to be true)

JoeS likes this.
  10. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

Ok, some show off time. I entertained the idea of using the Surface Studio as an expensive wall flower (side monitor), guess what, didn't look bad at all. And my Surface Pro (the ONE device), after driving SEVEN monitors with a combined 28M pixels, is staying as quiet as it ever was. Now that's what I called the ultimate one device solution. BTW, that LG monitor is sick as hell with six input sources - I can use it to switch between my three computers (SP, SS, Mac Mini) like whatever and whenever.

[​IMG]

The miracast-enabled Studio monitor is actually working great. I can watch videos on it with no stutter. Can't imagine how it'd perform on 10Gb ethernet. Damn.

djas, JoeS and batty like this.