Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

DRTigerlilly, Shogmaster and wataru like this.
  2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Hey, at least I can now recommend Surface Pros and Laptops now...

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

5. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

After speaking to Microsoft Support, apparently they still have no clue on why their touchscreen is so prone to break. I have spotted quite a few reports on broken touchscreen on the Internet - apparently I am not alone (considering there are not many Surface Studio users). See these posts -

post 1
    post 2
    post 3
    post 4

It becomes apparent that despite the universal positive acclaim received by the press, Microsoft has yet to solve the core technology - which is to reliably scale up their PixelSense Display to the larger format (assuming the Surface Hub/Table is using their own technology that came before they purchased N-trig). It is becoming clear to me that why other monitor manufactures have yet to catch up with the large format high resolution 4K/4K+ touch/pen technology - because this technology is still broken and too unreliable at the moment. Back then when the Studio came out, everyone was expecting a clone (the real deal, not the lower resolution ones like the Wacom 27" and Dell Canvas). Two years passed, and we are still staying at ground zero. Even Microsoft could not offer me any confidence when I conveyed my concern on the reliability of the Studio 2. I even offered to buy the Studio 2 if it'll only improve its reliability, and they could not give me a guarantee. All they want is your money. When you are about to lose a big purchase from your customer, and you cannot guarantee the quality of your product, you know how shady and deceptive your practices are. Microsoft probably knew the problems themselves - that's why they didn't dare to sell this as a standalone monitor. Imagine the outcry from customers buying an expensive monitor only to find it dead a couple months later. The Studio would sell like hot cakes if it is sold as a standalone monitor, but Microsoft know they will not be able to control the damage given how little confidence they have in their product.

I have never had any problem with their small form factor PixelSense display, like the ones on the Surface Pros, and I have used the Pros and the Studios with the same accessories, been in the same work environment. Only the Studios have broken touchscreens. The Surface Studio 2 is all but guaranteed to possess the same digitizer board as the first gen. So my confidence of a Studio 2 been reliable is close to zero given how all the Studio 1s have worked for me so far.

This and that the Studio 2 offers zero performance advantage to Studio 1 for my work. The work that I do will not require a more powerful GPU. You can also substitute a SSD for much cheaper. But where is my CPU upgrade? Yet Microsoft has kept the same pricing for the last gen, and raised the pricing for the newer gen by $600. Are they really trying to sell this thing?

When it works, it works like a dream - there is no comparison to the experience despite that the same money can build you a 2x more powerful PC. I really want to own a Surface Studio. I really do. If it's a marriage, I hope it'll last lifelong. But Microsoft is really pushing me away from owning one. For love, I can forgo the money. But if she betrays me times and again, how could we say forever?

It's a divorce.