Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

The Surface Studio is a true enigma - design is clever and awesome, but components and execution just suck. This is the high end "creative's" device, but lacks in processor and storage power (who would even consider a device selling for more than $500 with a spinning disk), and is the highest price device in their stable. It's like they bolted the Commodore 64 for a big screen TV and called it a day.

Yet it is so addictive, even the great Leo "I hate everything Microsoft" Laporte STILL has it on his set during MacBreak Weekly (and most of his other shows) because of the design flexibility and awesome workspace and pen/touch support the screen affords...

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Yet it is so addictive...>>

So true, so true... Let's all keep our fingers crossed for Studio Version 2...

PS: Maybe I'll be in the market for a used Studio at an attractive (to me, not you!) price...

Kumabjorn and JoeS like this.
  3. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I was researching 40+ inch monitors and came across this baby that is announced today -

Too bad it's not a monitor, nor can I afford four of them in a row on the wall. Wait, you can actually attach them in a row to form one bigger screen? What kind of magic is that?

4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Core OS and CShell which is being development along side RS5 :)

5. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just installed a firmware update on the Surface Studio that finally enabled pen tilt support. Oddly, the HIDClass driver is dated 5/12/2017 and the other Firmware installed is dated 2/11/2018. Could Microsoft have been sitting on this patch for more than a year?

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Misplaced???

7. wataru

Well, they did show tilt support on the Studio in their new surface pen demo video back when SP2017 was announced. So I am not surprised if they've been intentionally sitting the driver for a year... wonder if the new driver introduces the same jitter issue that's been plaguing the SP2017 and SB2.

8. wataru

upload_2018-9-18_7-35-12.png
    I already lost count of how many Studios I have replaced - but my current Studio is broken again (I barely touched the device since I got it, and I waked up today to find a partially defective touch screen). Same old problem w/ all my previous replacements - touch is broken around the corners of the screen. Look at all the tombstones above.

I think for those who want a Studio monitor only device - this could be your worst investment considering the touchscreen breaks every three months like mine. It's even worse since it's an all-in-one, which means you have to reinstall your programs every couple of months. I am getting a replacement and will sell it if a Studio 2 or a Surface Studio Monitor comes out next month. No wonder no OEM has copied it yet - the large form factor touch screen is that much prone to break? That's scary :/

Can't refuse to draw on that beauty of a screen though.

Marty and Kumabjorn like this.
  9. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Where are Consumer Report when you need them?
    Valuable information that I can't find anywhere else.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Where are Consumer Report when you need them?..>>

Well, in fairness, they did revoke their "recommended" rating...

DRTigerlilly and Kumabjorn like this.