Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Given that the original had a rather pathetic SSD/HDD hybrid drive, it would be a HUGE improvement if they start selling it with a fast SSD and an up to date CPU and (gasp) even a discrete GPU.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...and (gasp) even a discrete GPU...>>

...Yeah, but then when you detach the screen, the GPU stays behind in the base...! ( ;) - Is that better?)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

There is only one thing to say about that.

Holy smokes.

But much if that is European VAT, no? Don't know the rate in Italy but guessing it is above 20%.

4. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Eh, that is the Book not the Studio. I think. Or have I missed something?

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I considered a sales tax of 10% in the USA too.
    It's still a lot more than what you pay in the states, not justified by our 20% vat.
    And since it's an official release there's no import fees.
    It's just greed at its finest.

Edit
    Actually, if I imported it from the States it would cost me less than the official release.

Kumabjorn and Bronsky like this.
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The state of Delaware (30 minute drive down the Turnpike) has no sales tax.:vbbiggrin:

dstrauss and Azzart like this.
  7. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Could anyone tell me how to show documents at 1:1 scale on the Surface Studio?

I remember this feature being demo'd at launch. It's called True Scale. But when I view an Illustrator doc at 100% it's definitely not 1:1.

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Adobe Illustrator has a basic facility for supporting High-PPI displays (Edit | Preferences | User Interface) --- do things line up at 100%, 150% or 200%?

Ages ago, at the first shop I worked at in college, each monitor had a note that xx% scaling == 100%

Can't believe that that problem still has not been solved.

9. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I'll check the AI prefs on Monday.

We have a demo unit and I won't be recommending purchase anyways but I am curious to see this feature in action, as we do product design.

10. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

My Studio was sent back again for yet another defective touch screen... in less than four months (it's so predictable isn't?) Three times in a row.

This time Microsoft didn't even send a replacement to me directly and insist on doing a standard exchange procedure (i.e. they'll send a replacement once they receive my machine). I am embarrassed by their incompetent software&hardware, even more embarrassed by their OEMs for not coming up with a Surface Studio alternative in more than a year.

The All-in-One is a very bad idea given that Microsoft does not allow you to take out the hard drive (or they will not honor your warranty) and does not offer to repair your machine (only sending replacement). This means you'll have to re-install EVERYTHING from ground up three to four times a year. Speaking of (un)interrupted (non)productivity for such an expensive investment.

As soon as an alternative comes up, I'll abandon the Microsoft ship for good.

If you are curious what a defective touch screen on the Studio looks like, here it is~

At this rate, I am not sure if even a standalone Surface monitor would be a good investment because you know it will break down in three months :confused:

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018