Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. wataru

wataru Scribbler - Standard Member

I solved this by using the Media Creation Tool, which skips the upgrading process. Boot time is now a more acceptable 3 to 4 minutes. The low disk benchmark score stays the same. But boot time is so much better.

To summarize, do not trust the built-in 'factory reset' or the recovery image. I'd urge Microsoft to release a clean 1709 recovery image instead of the current 1703 recovery image. The 1703 image boots in 1 min, but degrades to 10~20min when upgraded to 1709. The Media Creation Tool directly installs 1709, which seems to solve the ridiculous boot time issue (fingers crossed).

And Microsoft should test 1709 on slower platform such as the Studio before releasing their software. Without a full SSD, I had to turn off most services for the computer to boot reasonably, or the computer is unusable. Without a SSD, I don't think this computer is designed to handle so many disk crunching background services, and did the Windows team work with the Surface team to take that into consideration?

Finally, as a comparison, my Surface Pro (M3) boots in 1min, as is my decade old PC that is equipped with a budget SSD. And they are all upgraded to 1709 through Windows Update instead of coming off a fresh install.

-p.s. for the uninformed, my 'boot time' means booting from complete shutdown to below 100% disk usage.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. wataru

The SSD is actually working - I can corroborate that by timing copying of a 3.2 Gb file within the same drive - which only takes a second or two to finish. My guess is that a firmware update changes the behavior how the disk interact with disk benchmark software so the SSD is invisible when running benchmark. I haven't tested copying small files so I cannot comment the real world random read/write performance.

The firmware update also changes how the SSD is seen inside Intel Rapid Storage Software. For one, the latest Intel RST won't install. I could still run an old version RST software that used to be able to inspect and change the SSD behavior (at least on my first Studio), but that old version software now tells me that the SSD is not being used, which is bizarre given that it is apparently being used (for sequential read/write at least).

Here are some bonus images from Intel RST saying that the SSD in my Studio is not in acceleration/cache mode.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  3. wataru

@Azzart , well, your suspicion was correct! The acceleration is not even on for a brand new unit! (how can you even trust MS these days?)

[​IMG]
    This is what happens after turning on the acceleration. Boot time is now a solid 1min.

Azzart likes this.
  4. godofiron

godofiron Pen Pal - Newbie

okay, this has me super worried about investing in a surface studio. I really hope the sequel is better in every way, or the current one gets a substantial price drop

5. wataru

Hello guys, I just found that Windows 10 pen remoting has significantly improved. Microsoft has adapted its zero latency technology, initially announced in the Whiteboard App, to more apps and most importantly, its own remote desktop application!

Now there is absolutely zero lag as I can see from the eye when you use the pen in supported apps in a remote session running on your custom built powerful PC from the Surface Studio. Right now, I have tested OneNote, Whiteboard, and Sketchpad, all with zero lag. Other apps like Sketchable does not support the pen remote protocol and has severe lag. It's likely Windows ink does not automatically enable zero-lag pen remote and they are separate features. Here is a video demo of pen remote in Sketchpad (funny that the Surface Pen's bluetooth cap and Surface Dial works in the remote session too just as if they are running natively on the remote machine).

However, if properly supported, you can imagine running photoshop in your powerful gear in a remote session from the Surface Studio someday, with no lag! This is like finally having a Surface Studio monitor running on your own custom gear (for art apps only of course)! I have always been impressed by MS remote desktop's voodoo magic, including running many games, such as Starcraft II remotely at 1080p with zero lag. So I am not surprised that the remote session runs well on Surface Studio at 4.5K. The most impressive part is of course the 60Hz refresh rate achieved in Windows Ink from a remote session. Maybe the next-gen Ethernet technology will finally deliver zero-lag 4K video and gaming from a remote session?

Selofain and Azzart like this.
  6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Long time since I've been in this thread. Are there any rumors about a Studio 2 yet?

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Are there any rumors about a Studio 2 yet?..>>

...Other than the press leak that a refresh will appear this year, I am not aware of anything..

8. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

So a better CPU/GPU combo and more storage? Nothing really exciting then. Too bad.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Nothing really exciting then...>>

...Well, a price reduction might be pretty exciting! I'd also like to see a monitor based on the Studio display. I've been waiting for something like that for a long time!

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Considering the mid range model in europe has a corresponding price that’s as low as $5100... :eek: