Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

For sure.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I am actually glad this forum is one of the rare places on internet you can actually have heated debates—without devolving into fanboy encampments. I don't hesitate to "slug it out" in technical discussions here because, by and large, this community tries to stick to fact-based reasoning to make its points.

Take a look at the comments sections of any tech news site and tell me you don't just want to walk back to TPCR and simply take in a breath of fresh air!

So just want say kudos to you all—especially Steve—for doing such a great job managing these forums! :thumbsup:

JoeS likes this.
  3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

This is only tangentially related, but do you figure that dial will be cross compatible with future (and likely past) Win10 slates, or exclusive to the Studio?

Just one more workflow-related thing to consider when making a decision on an expensive graphics-focused slate...

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

They say that the Dial has exclusive onscreen compatibility with Studio, though one site (unfortunately can't remember which) suggested that support might come to other Surface devices with a firmware update.

It'll work with any PC off screen though.

neongolden likes this.
  5. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looking forward to SurfaceProArtist's hands-on review when he gets his.

6. YVerloc

YVerloc Scribbler - Standard Member

Specs, schmecks. There is literally no other retina resolution Cintiq-style machine on the market, period. The ipad pro and the upcoming Wacom MSP are (or will be) good sketching machines, but us pros need to work with our arms, not our wrists and fingers. Retina brings the visual experience back to analog-land, and turns digital art into just art. That's suprisingly important! I'm glad that Microsoft seems to know and understand what pro artists need - real estate and retina resolution. What we DON'T need is that latest and greatest yaddda yaddas. If you're concerned about the yadda yaddas, it's obvious that the machine isn't meant for you, simple as that.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Utan-chan, Selofain, kvoram and 4 others like this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I'm curious (strictly curious since I'm not part of the target audience), did you notice anything in terms of heat emanating from the display? Cool, warm, hot to the touch?

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

None at all. Very cool to the touch. It had been on at least 90 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...did you notice anything in terms of heat emanating from the display?..>>

...I didn't notice any heat either. I handled the screen (to see how easy it was to move) and I have no recollection of it being anything more than slightly warm (as opposed to the frame of our Samsung flat screen TV which gets noticeably warm). Regarding the screen mechanical linkage, I was impressed by how easily and smoothly it moved. It was very easy to position for viewing as an AiO, but if you want to use it for art, it has to be folded down completely (so it won't move under hand pressure).

The Dial was on display, but didn't seem to be working on the display Studio.

Utan-chan, kvoram, neongolden and 2 others like this.