Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Now that the dust has settled and we've had a little time digesting everything, my take is why isn't there a port for the Surface dock? If I could've used my multiple monitor setup through the existing dock, I just might have sprung for one. Since my DP monitors are not 1.2 I need the extra mDP ports.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

3. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's a brief benchmark test.
    Current Nvidia 965/980 is far behind the top of the line GPU even for notebook class device.
    http://www.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu

Bringing 2014 level GPU late 16 we are now is fail.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. ThorntonArtStudio.com

ThorntonArtStudio.com Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't mind specs not being the latest and greatest in a niche product like this. As long as it does the job.

It could just mean it's polished. Maybe they've been perfecting it in some way.

Regarding price, they have to charge more. Simple economics. If you're in that smaller market of creatives, aren't you glad they made it? Well...there's a tax.

If I can do heavy lifting on a Surface Pro 3, you know this thing can handle it. It's probably a beast in comparison.

And that screen is 3000x4500!

JoeS, Utan-chan, Mesosphere and 2 others like this.
  5. Allarih

Allarih Scribbler - Standard Member

Mobile 980 is 5th (and very close to 4th and 3rd) and mobile 965 is 8th. Pretty good if you ask me.

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Can't agree more.

Well no, it's the M version so it's 32nd and 54th respectively. ;)
    Edit:
    Nevermind, I noticed now you meant it's 5th and 8th of the mobile ranking!

ThorntonArtStudio.com likes this.
  7. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

I wonder why they went with the mobile version anyway? Although I guess it makes sense that the performance boost of the desktop versions may not have been considered worth the extra power requirement, heat production and fan noise. At the top end you could get maybe a factor of 2-3x more performance but at the cost of a lot more than 2-3x the power/heat to deal with (diminishing returns), and I imagine for a majority of creative applications that extra oomph isn't really needed. If the response of your brush stroke feels real time, making the GPU 2x faster wont make it feel more real time.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Because the internals are separate from the display (unlike almost every AIO out there), there is a good chance of upgradeability...>>

...I've been following this thread and I notice that no one has mentioned that the patent (on which the Studio is clearly based) shows the design to be upgradeable (is that a word?) by modules. If anyone sees a Studio in one of the stores, check the bottom for a connector (or a place where a connector might be located)!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

...And time for a brief rant about this and a couple of the other threads:

I'm getting more than a little tired of seeing hyperbolic (that means overly dramatic) comments, made repeatedly by some, about the merits or lack of merits of this or that technical feature. As a long-time tablet advocate, I can assure you that today's tablet and computing world is a virtual nirvana compared to the state of the art just 15 years ago. The term "Fail / Epic Fail" is way overused here with regard to hardware features. It shows a lack of appreciation for what it takes to integrate a complex electronic device, much less what it takes to make that device reliable. System designers have to make a lot of hard decisions and although we early adopters would like to see the bleeding edge of everything, OEMs have to be practical about such little things as sale-ability and recouping investment. So, how about taking a breath and relaxing just a little bit?

And another thing. Most of us who actively participate in these forums have seen enough of each other's posts to have a reasonable appreciation of personal opinions and "pet peeves." Once an opinion has been posted, oh say a dozen times, the value of posting the same thing 800 more times doesn't add ANYTHING to the discussion. It just makes you boring! And I take my own advice; some may notice that I don't post quite as much as I used to, and the items that I do post are more information-oriented. So again, take a breath! We heard you, already!

Thank you for allowing this brief interruption. (Rant off)

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You'd never get a desktop 980 in something this tiny, not even the MXM variants of it.

That being said, the GTX 1060 for laptops is faster, cheaper, has lower TDP, and if they are using MXM (who knows, but the existence of two different GPU versions makes me think they are), would be a drop-in replacement. Moreover, with the push for VR that they're making, a GTX1060 supports that far better than a 980M. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if they refresh the Studio with Kaby Lake and Pascal even as soon as this Spring, especially since they say that it'll have limited availability.

alextrela182 likes this.