Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gene Wilder would be proud of the commercial
    RIP Willy Wonka--
    Jesse Eisenberg Lex Luthor will never fill in his shoes

We haven't had any hateful arguments in this thread yet.

So uh I imagine the criticism of the device will be this:

This device can't be used as a monitor for your surface book can it? So it this a bit of a step back? Why not get a wacom cintiq HD touch which let you draw on your tablet on the go and let you plug into a wacom cintiq HD touch monitor? But now instead you fragment your files between two devices - your drawing tablet and your desktop

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nuuuuu....

Naw, I'll bet you'll get it eventually... ;)

3. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nothing can top the cube i7

surfaceproartist likes this.
  4. Marty

I believe MS is going to take care of the multi-device integration by expanding Windows Continuum to include things like Pen Remoting (as detailed by @surfaceproartist) and real-time file syncing by some sort of local-network based OneDrive syncing.

Pure speculation on my part, but I see MS moving in this direction of full "Surface-family" device integration.

5. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is the main problem with AIOs, the components simply don't age the same. I had hoped before for a detachable screen. After all, it would have fit nicely into the the Surface line. They could have also sold an attachable battery pack so you could use it as a wireless display. I guess they will always make sure that related revenue goes into MS' pockets, so keeping it all together nicely.

As for Thunderbolt 3, I agree that isn't relevant for most people, but there are several useful scenarios, eGPU being the most relevant for "normal" consumers. Others are for example with hi-res, high-bitrate video editing, it would be beneficial with an SSD-Raid-Array connected, especially given the slow SSHD inside. TB3 also allows for additional dual 4K@60Hz displays.

Price-wise, it is ridiculous that they don't put SSDs inside a $3000-$4200 computer. It is a desktop, physical space was also no problem, so why not use a fast m.2 SSD plus a spacious 2.5" HDD?!?

But, yeah, it will make it easier to upgrade. Whoever sees one, see if there are some screws on the bottom or anything pointing to a 'opening without breaking it'-possiblility. Upgrading to a 2.5" SSD (IF that is the case) instead of m.2 is also cheaper, but this also means likely no NVMe/PCIe SSD possibility at all.

As for RAM, I am pretty certain it is solderend. The base is quite small, almost ultrabook-like. And with the dGPU needing cooling as well, I just don't see them putting "big" SO-DIMMs in there.

Since Quad-Core Kaby-Lake-H hasn't even been released yet by Intel, Microsoft couldn't put it in this year even if they wanted:
    [​IMG]
    Even pushing it to early next year would have been a very tight schedule. It is after all a completely new product and not just an upgrade. Such development takes time. This way they also get at least some preorders for Santa Claus to put into his sled.

And yeah, sticking it to Apple was certainly part of their agenda. I guess Microsoft waited with the exact date until they knew Apple's Macbook schedule. Helps to steal some thunder...

alextrela182 likes this.
  6. Marty

"Uh...let me just pick this (sole $4K floor model) up, and uh...let me just flip it over (on top of the thin 13mm screen)...and uh...let me just pry off these rubber feet..."

Someone's going to have fun at the MS Store tomorrow. :D

Utan-chan, Azzart and kvoram like this.
  7. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Wear some fast shoes, so you can run if necessary...

8. alextrela182

alextrela182 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As always happens at first attempt of new generation product line will have to wait at second generation in 1-2 year to see less compromise.

I Guess MS months earlier have finished the final design so that period not had new PASCAL Nvidia or just new unveiled Samsung 960 Pro NVMe and of course the new Kaby Lake H series that will be released earlier 2017

But again has no excuse not having USB 3.1 thunderbolt even provide extra controller since Haswell don't have out of the box support on thunderbolt.

At such high cost machines I'm expecting top of the top components and no any kind of compromises.

If just delayed the announcement few months later would have been much greater proposal.

Offering 1 generation behind CPU,not offering latest GPU/MVMe PCIe storage technology is epic fail in my opinion.

Hybrid HDD Wow MS must be kidding!!

Total ridiculous!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  9. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

kvoram, Marty and darkmagistric like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While that was a great article.....more then anything I hope this little bit is indeed accurate

"Like other Surfaces the Studio uses the pressure-sensitive Surface Pen as an input device. (The Studio's version is similar to the one that shipped with the Surface Pro 4, but with some upgraded electronics.)"

Marty likes this.