Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

I dont think intels thunderbolt will ever leave its <0.5% marketshare niche, in which it is now for +-7 years, for good reasons.

For the mass-market, usb 3 & 3.1 are fast enough for 99% of the users and are nonpropietary, different from intels thunderbolt, and also there are already multi-billions of usb-devices -all compatible- on the market.

In high-performance computing, infiniband etc are so much more faster, it is not even a competition anymore. Also, infiniband, 10GBe etc all can be switched/networked etc.

eGPU is one of the very few use cases which are a nice example for the benefits of thunderbolt, but in the age of mobile 980M 1080M GTX gpus, i guess the interested buyers who actually would buy will be below <0.1% of the market.

But i understand where you are coming from, and on your topic, let me add: i actually would prefer a video-input and usb-output, so i could use the surface studio connected to my dual-xeon workstations (or 2017 multi-cpu zen workstation).
    Monitors tend to outlast computers....

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

While it's true that Thunderbolt is a niche, so is this PC. I think in the markets that this thing is aimed at (creative professionals), the lack of Thunderbolt 3 is a huge miss. People who do a lot of video editing are some of the biggest users of Thunderbolt, and that's some of what they're targeting here.

Utan-chan and kvoram like this.
  3. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm on board with everything except for the storage. You can see in some videos how long it takes to launch Sketchable. It would be instant on a SSD.

4. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Posty linkies, pretty pleasy? Might be interested in supporting the SurfaceProArtist Surface Studio fundraiser (and getting some nice deals).

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Because the internals are separate from the display (unlike almost every AIO out there), there is a good chance of upgradeability.

In fact, I am almost glad they went with a 2.5" drive meaning internal layout must be modular (ie. no soldered-on storage and hopefully, RAM).

If we are lucky they might have even used an MXM-based graphics solution...

Shogmaster likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'll also bet it's MXM. If it wasn't it probably would have been only one GPU option.

But something tells me that RAM is soldered on LOL.

7. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

From the Article

"About a year ago they invited me over to show me a brand new device. I ended up in a little tiny room with a sheet covering something on a table in front of me. There was a one way mirror on my left and I was informed that there were people back there watching. I was super curious what it was all about and when they pulled the sheet off I saw the Surface Studio."

(About a year ago).......so they've literally been sitting on this for the whole past year......They had a working mostly finished prototype back when they launched the Skylake Pro 4 & Book

....Which explains why this is Skylake based....and from what we can tell using the same Pro 4 Pixel Sense digitizer.....But if they were sitting on this for so long......why not just sit alittle longer for Kaby Lake?

8. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The Shogmaster jinx ;)

But I'm still optimistic...full upgradeability would ease a lot of the sticker-shock.

I don't think it was a coincidence that MS held this event literally one day before Apple.

MS wants to stick it to Apple for largely ignoring the creative industry on the PC side.

My guess is Kaby Lake / Pascal integration would have delayed the product launch into 2017, and MS decided that the marketing value of announcing now was greater.

Shogmaster and kneehowguys like this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I was shamelessly rich now I'm just shamelessly in debt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry to disappoint. I decided to pass on the MSP. Just can't swing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk