Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, he just puts his money where his mouth is.

In fact, this time he didn't even say anything..he just ordered it!

The rest of us...we spend our time humming and hawing about maybe getting the MSP16 or the SS, whereas Rick's already got them on preorder—at the same time! :D

2. steven

steven Pen Pal - Newbie

Na you don't need anything fancy. I use my no-name pipe clamps for cheap from the fleamarket. Out of curiousity i tried a build like this with wolfcraft one handed bar clamps and it still worked out ok. Just start with a base as simple as you can possibly make it and then cut away to make all buttons, connectors, vents etc. accessible. And use a stand-in-foam or wood-dummy instead of the tablet of course until you're relatively sure your build holds up.
    And when you've figured everything out and you're done you will probably want to build it again. At least i need to build everything twice, the first build is always just to learn and figure out things. The second build is the real one.

Marty likes this.
  3. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

Impressive device. Might buy one.

A Video with some nice use cases:

4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

As much as I would love to play around with this.....there is just now way in heck I could justify this purchase. My tri-monitor Desktop rig would have to go way bye bye before I could even consider getting the Studio.

I will say that Mental Canvas application does look pretty cool though

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  5. yuki

yuki Scribbler - Standard Member

On a sadder note: I really pity the poor backers who invested in the macbook pro / modbook pro X starting in 30.7.2014...

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...154-retina-quad-core-mac-os-x-tablet/comments

Still no product and shipping date, delay now close to 2 years...

... and after the Surface Studio now: For the money some paid, or even less in some cases, they now could have gotten both, a Surface Pro 4 and a Surface Studio.

6. kvoram

kvoram Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I feel really sorry for them. As an owner of the first Modbook, I was intrigued when they launched their campaign (though never considered backing due to the astronomical price).
    But I didn't expect this to become such a clusterf*ck, since this wasn't the makers' first rodeo.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Gabe from Penny-Arcade has had one of these at home for a week or so...

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2016/10/26/the-surface-studio

I think the best summary of this device (and why I have zero interest myself as a non-artist) is what he told the Surface team immediately: “Well I have no idea if anyone else will want it, but you have made my dream computer.”

8. kvoram

9. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Azzart and WillAdams like this.
  10. kvoram

Now that the initial curiosity has settled, besides some specific details, there is one thing that I would find disappointing:

The lack of Thunderbolt 3 and therefore eGPU support.

I know MS wants to make money on the GPU part as well instead of giving that to a third party. IMHO in the long term this would make more sense if you could upgrade/connect it to any graphics card in an TB3 eGPU dock, even though there is some performance decrease on eGPU vs. internal dGPU.

Together with the Surface Book GPU update, this makes me question a bit if we will get to see Thunderbolt 3 in the SP5 and SB2...