Surface Studio Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by kvoram, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Apple is too lazy to get OSX pen and touch ready. They will simply let you connect iPad Pro Ver2 to your Macs like a Cintiq via Thunderbolt capable Lighting port.

2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Actually, I didn't know that Apple didn't have touchscreen laptops until I read it here. What a laugh!

I went online to see if this was a real thing because it seemed so incredibly silly, (it is a real thing), and found myself answering a Quora question with the following vitriolic grump factor, (largely because everybody was bending over backwards to re-feed themselves the Apple Jacks flavored PR spin about touch screens being a bad design choice. Egad, really? There's nothing quite as annoying as when people can't tell the difference between reality and corporate spin. Doesn't everybody know by now what corporate spin tastes like..? -Well, obviously not, and that's the problem with pretty much everything.., but whatever...):

~~~

Wow. Nobody is willing to speak to the real reason here?

That’s hardly surprising.

It’s not a design issue. God no! -If they told us the real reason, everybody would feel like they’re being exploited, which they are.

It’s basically this: If they put a touch screen on a Mac, it would be like pulling the first thread. It wouldn’t be long before the whole sweater came undone.

A touch screen would demand a better OS interface. Providing one of those would quickly dissolve the boundaries between the iPad and their laptop line.

And while this would shrink revenue from hardware sales, (who needs two iterations of the same device?) that is NOT the reason or the fear staying Apple’s hand.

It’s all about content!

Apple doesn’t by default get a cut of any of the media or software which runs on their laptops. (They try, oh they try, but all of that is a knock-on result of their iPad design). By contrast, the iPad was created specifically to give Apple a new revenue stream by taxing media content creators. -That’s a lot harder to do on a laptop with an accessible file system. Apple doesn’t take a 30% cut of Adobe Photoshop sales on their laptops, for instance. But they sure as shucks do take a cut of everything which crosses the screen on their iPads, boy!

If they merged their product lines, then.., poof! That whole media revenue stream comes under threat. So long as that billion dollar golden goose is laying eggs, Apple will not change their game plan. -THAT is why you’ll never see a stylus or finger-touch screen combined with a real Mac OS. -They know you want one. They know how useful it would be, (despite their line of mild mannered urban aftershave-scented canary poop about design considerations). But sorry, so long as hardware sales are trumped by the gobs of wealth streaming from their media content tax, they will scorn and fire and probably behead the executive foolish enough to threaten to pull that thread and thus unravel the sweater which is keeping them all warm at night.

And deep down, I think most people know this.

They just don’t like to say it out loud, quoting made-up reasons instead, because they don’t want to see that Apple never loved them after all. You’re just a taxable money chicken.

~~~~

That wasn't too grouchy now, was it?

gcoupe, JoeS, Utan-chan and 4 others like this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm sorry, but that instantly turned into meme of Tim Cook in my mind. :D

(Nothing against the man, I think he is great especially his philanthropy)

4. Shogmaster

5. Marty

One article mentioned the SS pen might have additional electronics compared to the SP4.

While I'm skeptical of that, did you happen to notice any differences between the pens? That test was done using the SS pen on both right?

6. Shogmaster

7. Shogmaster

The pens seem exactly the same. It was default SP4/SB pen.

Marty likes this.
  8. Marty

So you're overall impression compared to drawing on a Cintiq? I see a little bit of stroke lag, but I'm sure that's actually Photoshop CC.

You didn't by any chance test a lightweight drawing app (like the SAI v2 beta) did you?

9. Shogmaster

Marty likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

Hard to compare to Cintiq due to the pen having noticeably higher initial detection force. But I can see this thing being my favorite drawing thingie EVAR if it supports Wacom gen 13 USI pens.