Surface Slim Pen 2

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by COGBABY, Sep 24, 2021.

1. COGBABY

COGBABY Pen Pal - Newbie

A775AC96-C27C-4547-952A-CB2B1C3BE782.jpeg 46F2CC4C-1172-4772-A3E6-97D5E793828A.jpeg The pen has always been the dealbreaker for me with regard to Surface products. The high IAF and jitter made drawing an unpleasant experience.

But this new pen looks like a huge improvement.

Alexandria Neonakis, the artist who did the demo at the Surface event, seems to genuinely like it.

Who knows when I’ll get to try one out in person. Until then, I’ll wait for reviews from the likes of Brad Colbow.

Please post reviews of the new pen here as they become available.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm very optimistic with the new pen. I've been using a Slim Pen 1 with my Pro 5 for 2 years now and even without the under the hood enhancements, the nib assembly in the Slim Pen 1 alone made it much nicer to use as you have very precise and natural control over the pressure. The jitter issue is annoying, but with Clip Studio, a little brush stabilization takes care of that.

So a Slim Pen 2 that takes advantage of under the hood enhancements I expect will be even better.

The only thing I dislike with the Slim pen 2 is the new sharper nib. I loved the rounded nib in the Slim Pen 1, and I typically hate sharper/pointier nibs (Samsungs S-pens over the past few years to note).

Eltos and COGBABY like this.
  3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I’ve been so eager to hear impressions about how it feels in Clip Studio. I have a feeling it might literally be the best experience available.

I’m also seriously wondering if the haptic feedback here is to become the New Thing, with (hopefully) Apple and even Wacom scrambling to devise their own solutions. What do you think?

No one asked, but in my personal case, I was wanting badly to try to get a Pro 8 (the fanless i5 config, actually) after it was unveiled, but I think the way it is going to play out for me is maybe there will be an iPad Pro Max as rumored in 2022 along with an Apple Pencil 3. I hate to admit it but I’ve kind of succumbed to the Dark Side and would rather trade my 2020 iPP stuff in for that next year.

I guess I just say that offhand because I’ve been binging on the Pro 8 thread and there was a hilarious moment where you all started talking about how we can sell our stuff to finance one — in true TPCR fashion where we are never satisfied lol.

COGBABY, Eltos and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Better watch out! I'm already looking into getting a slim pen 2 because I splurged on a Surface Laptop Studio after someone tempted me into it with a good deal. I hadn't even thought about getting something new or selling any of my stuff. So who knows, if the deal actually goes through I might be sharing first impressions here in a few weeks. :)

dstrauss, COGBABY, Bronsky and 3 others like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

6. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

^Yeah, I’m just going it say it: Surface is probably about to take the crown as the best overall proposition for digital drawing. Sure, we need some more impressions, but with pen tech like that, it’s like why would you not get the machine with the best version of Clip Studio plus x86 backwards compatibility?

Sure, the screen is probably going to get creamed by the upcoming Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra, and maybe the M1 iPad Pro’s mini-LED is also better, but how far does that go?

Also, I can’t stress how deeply I believe Apple has to refresh the pencil by the time the next iPad Pros roll around. They literally need to copy as much of this Slim Pen as they possibly can in my opinion, while maybe trying to edge them out still on the IAF (I’m just speculating that maybe the IAF still isn’t quite as feathery as Wacom or Apple even on this latest iteration).

Anyway, guess I had to rant a little.

Edit: Also, it’s true that Jim Lee once pumped out a pretty nice illustration of Superman in a matter of hours on Procreate during a stream a while back, on a bare naked iPad, so I’m sure I’m full of it to an extent. Dude’s just humming along, until finally the chat mentions it (the tapping noise, etc lol) and he sort of just casually says “yeah maybe I should look into a screen protector” but doesn’t show any intensity about it. It is what it is, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2021
  7. Steve S

See the Pro 8 discussion thread for some impressions about inking with the Slim Pen 2 / Pro 8

COGBABY and Steve B like this.
  8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

COGBABY and JoeS like this.
  9. Steve S

Tried my Slim Pen 2 in the Slim Pen Charging Cradle. The pen is flashing white and orange in 5 pulses: W / O / W / O / W. This repeats over and over.

Anyone know what this means? Anyone know how to update the cradle firmware?

COGBABY likes this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Per the support document, you need to connect the cradle to your PC and check for updates in Windows Update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...slim-pen-09b3d27f-174d-2efe-2c1c-b9372249267a

COGBABY likes this.