Surface Pro4 Alternative for Work??

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by sonus911, Mar 29, 2016.

?

Is the SP4 with the Core m3 too slow for daily work use?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonus911

sonus911 Scribbler - Standard Member

I never thought I'd post here, as I am usually really well versed on these things, but recently I've fallen off. I need a Surface or Surface alternative for work. I take the majority of my notes by hand as annotating digital copies and using OneNote is important to me. I recently switched jobs and a desktop was purchased for me. I need to replace (or supplement) this desktop ASAP as I travel a lot.

My personal machine is an i7/8GB Vaio Duo 11 and my last work machine was an i5/4GB Surface Pro 2.

I do work in a fast-paced environment and can't afford to wait 5 seconds for Outlook to open up and another 3 seconds for a search. I initially requested the i5 Surface Book, but they said it was too expensive and asked that I stay under $1000 as per below. I've eyed the m3 SP4, but I'm worried that it will be too slow and the keyboard will bring me over the $1k mark. Further, I'll have to wait a month or so before I request the dock so that they don't view the pricing as being over the top.

1. What is your budget? Under $1000 all-in, purchasing said under $800 would be an easy yes.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? NO

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? Windows only

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? USA

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? No

7. How many hours battery life do you require? Over 6 hours

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) Email/Web/Note-taking in a fast paced business environment i.e. I can't wait 5 seconds for Outlook to open up and another 3 seconds for a search

9. Do you have an OS preference? Windows only

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? Microsoft Office often, Photoshop rarely, heavy browsing with 20+ tabs often open, Outlook running all day, Excel/Word/PowerPoint sometimes open, OneNote always open

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. NO

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? NO

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? No

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun? Not important

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig? YES. I have no preference between Wacom/N-Trig, although I'd like to avoid the Synaptics and other lower tier options as I really require OneNote to work well

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? At least 128 GB and prefer SSD to EMMC.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? Not important as long as I can somehow plug a external keyboard, mouse and monitor in.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above? I want a keyboard included in the price

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What weight for the device are you willing to tolerate carrying around? under 4 lbs? 3 lbs? 2 lbs?

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you can live with atrocious speakers you seem like the perfect candidate for a Toshiba DynaPad. Check out the thread.

Twitter is to communications as haiku is to literature.

4. Shogmaster

Isn't the Dynapad Atom and eMMC though? This guy needs Core M and SSD.

If you have Costco membership, check out the Lenovo Ideapad Miix 700. it's like $200 less than from Lenovo.com

5. sonus911

Yep, although I don't mind the suggestion as if there are no appropriate worthwhile options, I'll resign to just asking for a companion device though I'd find managing two work computers annoying and risky but if I have no other options a Surface 3 or the above Dynapad Atom (which is better?) May be options.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Regarding weight I wouldn't want more than 3 lbs unless it's detachable like the surface book.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. sonus911

Who makes the Miix Active Pen? Is it nTrig?

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

It is, forgot about that but it is snappy and the tablet/screen is as light, if not lighter, than a Surface Book.

Balbutio ergo sum

8. byviolet

byviolet Pen Pal - Newbie

cube i7 stylus
    lenovo 260
    lenovo 460
    Chuwi Hi12

9. Shogmaster

Wacom AES.

10. sonus911

Shog, is it true that some versions of the Miix 700 do not support a stylus? The forum seems to go back and forth on this. I'm unsure if at the end of it all, it was just that certain Miix 700s just needed a downloadable firmware update to get things going. I'm worried that I'll suggest a particular Miix and then purchasing will buy it from another source leaving me with a dud that doesn't support the stylus.

After further research it seems that the Dell XPS12 may be another option within my budget at least with the MS store's pricing.

@byviolet - thanks for this list. The cube seems to be the most interesting option, however there is no way I can get my new job to OK an unknown brand of computer that is additionally not available from the traditional outlets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.