Surface Pro3 vs Pro4

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by therock003, Apr 12, 2018.

1. therock003

therock003 Pen Pal - Newbie

I was looking for a powerful Tablet with a tight budget and ended up on Surface pro 3. My questions

-Is the 256 pressure sensivity pen, a serious compromise compared to the 1024 with adjustable tips pro 4 pen, or is the difference a gimmick in specs
    -I'll go with the m3 variant to shave off the price. Never tried an entry level cpu. Whats the experience like. My main laptop hs an i5 6200U in comparison
    -Is there any chance i can upgrade ram and storage

2. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

1. No. You won't notice that difference between 256 and 1024, you just notice the higher IAF, compared to EMR
    2.Core M3 is fine, unless you are doing GPU intensive activities
    3.Nope, all Microsoft Surfaces have soldered everything.

I have two questions:
    Do you have the Surface pro 3 already?
    If not, What's your budget?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

3. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

I would recommend the Fujitsu Lifebook T902. You can get it in the 100-400 dollar range for used. You can upgrade the RAM and hard drive to SSD. It has a core I7 or core i5 third gen. The options are:
    4gb ram, Intel core i5
    8gb ram Intel core i7
    16 GB ram Intel core i7

4. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

That is a 2 in 1 convertible with Wacom EMR pen.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

If you want a tablet PC, like the surface, check out the Fujitsu Stylistics

6. therock003

Thanx for your help. My budget is fairly low. I started with a 300e limit then maxed it out to 500 to get the simplest Surface pro 3. I havent bought it yet, but it seems this is what i will be getting. The lifebook is bulky, i wouldnt want something with an attached keyboard, since i will be using my own external bt keyboard, and i want the tablet to be slim so i can place it next to the TV, and use it as a media player on occasions.

Lack of upgradability is not a deal breaker. More ram would be better but i can do with 4gb ram. 64GB of disk storage is low though but i dont want to pay 700 or 800euros to get a 128/256GB version solution

So anyway i'll make due with that as well.

It wont be my only computer, since i have a fully functional HP430 ultrabook with 16gb of RAM and over 1tb of ssd. I just need the tablet, for pdf, ebooks, magazines, notes, photo managment, and file management, and the occasional media player i previously mentioned.

I was initial thinking of a 2in1 solution like the spectre, but those things cost like 1.5k Euro and they are the same specs as my HP ultrabook. So to pay that premium only to have a nicer product and a 2in1 form factor is not worth it come to think of it. So i thought i should add a tablet to my regimen instead

This is the S3 Version i'll be getting. Fairly priced i feel.

https://www.skroutz.gr/s/5056990/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-3-Core-i3-4GB-64GB.html

For more than 800e there are also these. But i cant pay that much

-Since i wont be needing the i7 as per my use description why pay that premium
    https://www.skroutz.gr/s/5057037/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-3-Core-i7-8GB-256GB.html
    -Latest Surface Version with similar specs and double the storage
    https://www.skroutz.gr/s/11991821/Microsoft-Surface-Pro-12-3-m3-4GB-128GB.html

How do you mean? Not familiar with IAF/EMR terminology can you dumb it down for me

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

For me the difference between sp3 and sp4 pen is night and day: you will notice. And a lot.

Also the entry level sp3 i3 is very slow and prone to throttle. The m3 on sp4 is a lot better as as cpu.

8. etoons

etoons Pen Pal - Newbie

For me the pen experience of the sp4 and sp3 are identical, but the surface pro 5 has a massive improvement, but it might just be because I have the core i5 sp3

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  9. therock003

How do you know that? Have you owned and used both

10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I've owned all three...and I don't know if b/c i'm continuing to simultaneously use a Wacom EMR device, i'm not noting the difference from sp3 to sp4 to sp5. I did find the sp3 pen the most comfortable in hand of the ntrig pens, but off course that will be subjective.

The Wacom EMR pen is still superior.

in terms of the SP4 as a computer. please educate yourself about Flickergate. Many users experience degradation to the display due to overheating in this model. It occurs between 1-2 years, so often falls outside of the warranty period covered by Microsoft, who is not admitting fault. a class action lawsuit investigation is ongoing.