Surface Pro3 questions

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by rlx, Dec 31, 2014.

1. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank's Scrambler. That will create a new desktop icon. Now I need to figure out a means to make that icon always visible so it won't hide behind something else. I will make a search for that.

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

As far as I know once you make the shortcut you can just drag it onto the taskbar, which will pin it there.

3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@rlx

You could potentially remap the SP3's top pen button single- or double-click commands to launch the onscreen keyboard. Or the volume up/down buttons. Just write back here if you are interested in exploring that.
    Good luck!

4. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem is that I find it very difficult to open the task bar on the SP3 as I explained in the post. I don't have that problem on the LE1700 running Windows7; the task bar opens as soon as the pen crosses the bottom of the screen.

5. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Great idea. I won't use EasyNote anyway since it is a Cloud only app and I don't want my notes to leave my PC until I wish to; my hard disk has enough space to hold my documents!

6. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

Uhm, I don't get why you keep the taskbar hidden but anyway you could just use a toolbar like toolbar creator or radial menu (you can find them on these forums) and add a button that calls for the keyboard, you could even add other buttons with common keystrokes you use the most. Toolbar creator lets you remap your pen top button too.
    Radial menu instead, while allowing you the ability to hold pressed the toolbar buttons with your finger while you use the pen which is handy in many softwares, has its radial menu that's very useful and can be called just by clicking with one of the two pen buttons (on a side note, you can use the other button as right click but back the standard way: without touching the screen!).
    Another option is an app called TouchMe Gesture Studio: it's cheap and lets you assign gestures with 2 to 5 fingers for common actions that will work thoughout the whole system. The standard assigned gesture to evoke the onscreen keyboard is two-fingers swipe down, I disabled it because interferred with my internet navigation and photoshop panning, but you could assign it to another gesture (anyway I find this app a must have, even if only for the ability to change volume with 3 fingers swipe left/right)

there are lots of ways to accomplish things on the surface, it just needs sometime to find your desired balance. ;)

7. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

8. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Great!

Thanks so much. I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I downloaded lblb's Tollbar creator and I am currently reading the instructions on how to use it. I will also look at your other suggestions.

All I need now is to find the registry entry that I can add/modify to restore the resize button at the bottom right of the TapTIP panel; that resize button was there at the beginning of Windows8 but disappeared as touch input took over pen input.

9. ptrkhh

ptrkhh Scribbler - Standard Member

have you tried the osk?
    just type osk on the search charm and you will get the 'old' keyboard from Windows 7.

Then you could make a shortcut for that on the taskbar

10. rlx

rlx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks everyone for sharing. You gave me new tools that I will use with the LE1700.

To summarize,

1) Thanks ptrkhh. I found osk.exe; it is scaleable and can be made very small and it is perfect to enter those Alt/Ctl keys. No inking on that keyboard though. I worked hard to find some key in the registry that would restore the resizing tab on TabTIP but no luck here.

2) On the first charge the battery lasted about 5 busy hours. But the second time following 12 hours on the charger, it looks like I am going to get 8+ hours before I see the warning "Battery low" (just reading and writing). The i7 idles at 5% CPU with CPU's running at 33% of nominal frequency. As soon as I start to browse my DJVU or PDF documents, CPU usage jumps to 120% at 130% nominal frequency for a second and quickly returns to idle. This is a very nervous machine. I like that.:)

3) At last I compared inking on the SP3 and the LE1700 both lying side by side, running Journal and Mypaint. For handwriting, N-Trig is good but I prefer the result I get with Wacom. Drawing diagonal lines with N-Trig is awful unless I write real fast. However N-Trig is better as a pointing device and Microsoft needs that accuracy for customers to use non-Metro software on the SP3.

4) Even with the nice tools people have discussed here, I still miss the Windows7 TapTIP functionality, but I now believe it is dead for good; too bad.:(

Note: There was a firmware update on January the 9th (yesterday) and after the update the diagonal lines look better. I don't know if the firmware update specifically addressed that particular issue or not; I might just be experimenting fluctuations in the way the N-Trig digitizer operates.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015