Surface Pro X vs. Surface Pro 7 - which to get?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 3, 2019.

1. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

I am saddling up with the portable apps that I will be geared up to test for tonight. So far, I am planning on bringing along Cinebench R15, Chrome and a few other portable versions of x86 programs on a thumb drive. With any luck, armed with a USB-C to USB-A dongle, I can see just how well emulated performance translates on the Pro X (if that is on display yet, that is) compared to the Pro 7.

Marty, JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One unknown factor is still the pen performance. I felt it was kind of odd Microsoft was so silent on the technical side of the new pen. The Pro 5 pen they fully speced away....but this pen is.......very Apple in how they presented it. Did they bump the pressure levels, the latency, the screen refresh rate, update the pixel sense chip, etc?......or does it perform equal to current Pro 5 Surface Pen?

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Do you REALLY think they would have done any of those things without even a passing mention? Thought not - they'll be defending it in the next round of advertisements with "as good as the regular Surface Pen."

4. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For me, as I own an SP6, the decision is easy. Neither. (Unless the reviews of the SP7 sway me, somehow). 14fps, for a game, isn't brilliant, which means that the SP7 offering 24fps is nothing to shout about (1080p). (Assuming that we'd see, at least, an extra 10fps over the previous gen).

The Pro X is just dead to me. I bought a Surface RT and, although it's 'not' the same scenario, the shiny aspect is no longer working and I'm not willing to compromise the 'full' aspect of the SP6/7. I honestly expected the X to have 16+ hours (For some reason). I also REALLY wanted the SP7 to have TB3, so I could sell my gaming desktop.

Oh well.

efjay and alextrela182 like this.
  5. darkmagistric

They might have, Apple is typically vague-ish when it comes to the technical end of their own pencil.......we still don’t know how many pressure levels the Apple Pencil is set to.....Perhaps Microsoft is following suit. Given how the Apple Pencil has the digital art market in a stranglehold, it might not be the worst strategy all things considered.

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

One more note on the Battery life mystery, below are the exact descriptions from Microsoft's current specs pages. They don't mention which browser they use, which could make a huge difference. Office applications have been optimized for ARM afaik, so that should help the X. The 13 hours for the X is in line with what I expect based on my Galaxy Book2 (WOA) experience. Getting 10.5 hours of actual work done at 150nits on a core i5 is pretty impressive, for me that's the big surprise here.

Surface Pro 7
    Up to 10.5 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage.
    Testing conducted by Microsoft in September 2019 using
    preproduction software and preproduction Intel® Core™ i5, 256GB, 8 GB RAM device.

Surface Pro X
    Up to 13 hours of battery life based on typical Surface device usage.
    Testing conducted by Microsoft in September 2019 using
    preproduction software and preproduction configurations of Surface Pro X.​

For both devices the specs state the same conditions:

Testing consisted of full battery discharge with a mixture of active use and modern standby.
    The active use portion consists of
    (1) a web browsing test accessing 8 popular websites over multiple open tabs,
    (2) a productivity test utilizing Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, and
    (3) a portion of time with the device in use with idle applications.
    All settings were default except screen brightness was set to 150nits with Auto-Brightness disabled.
    Wi-Fi was connected to a network.​

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Given the way that they've chosen to cripple the stylus since Fall Creators Update, and dumb it down to something like the lowest common denominator of Android stylus interface options, why would they bother to try to improve anything?

The only stylus-specific things I recall were writing in cells in a spreadsheet --- there were far nicer pen-centric spreadsheets in Go Corp.'s PenPoint.

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This is the one point that always pisses me off - you have to be working in a near dark room for 150 nits to make sense. Nobody wants to work for an extended period of time at that low screen brightness.

WillAdams and JoeS like this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Agreed! Except for the occasional overnight trans-atlantic flight maybe. Despite that niggle, these battery benchmarks are already way better than the usual "running a video on a loop with WiFi off".

wytn likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

While the roll out of the update was indeed problematic like a year ago....everything’s stable now. I’ve been using my Pro 5 pen for art work quite regularly for months now...far far far from Crippled or dumbed down. But there is still room for improvement. And clearly if they didn’t care about the pen, they wouldn’t have gone to the effort to redesign it at all for the X.

WillAdams likes this.