Surface Pro X vs. Surface Pro 7 - which to get?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 3, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Now that most of the dust has settled, I’m curious how people feel about the Pro X vs. the Pro 7. Despite their radically different chipset, these machines are remarkably similar in many respects. A quick rundown of the differences:

upload_2019-10-3_21-19-22.png

The big unknowns are actual performance of this new “unleashed” ARM chipset in the X, and the actual battery life of both units. Panos claimed the X to be 3x more efficient, but emulation might drive up the power use.

So.. which one would you get? Does the X offer something that makes you choose it over the 7?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
    Steve S and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

One thing that struck me is how close these battery life estimates are, considering one runs an ARM chip. I would imagine that would be one of the main drivers for a switch to WOA.

Joe use a GB2 right? How do you find the battery life over typical day emulating medium workload x32 apps? A breakthrough to the 4-5hr barrier x86 tablets have been stuck in?

JoeS likes this.
  3. JoeS

TBH I haven't been pushing the Book2 to the limit, mostly enjoying Netflix on OLED, but it does seem like it has dramatically longer battery life than say an X1 Yoga which typically dies after about 5.5 hours.

For me 13 hours is exactly the kind of amazing battery life that I'd hope to get from ARM. The bigger surprise is that they manage to get 10.5 hours out of a core-i under presumably similar testing conditions. Perhaps those numbers are for the i3? (edit: nope, i5)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  4. Marty

Ah, I see. It became the 'fun' tablet. :p (Can't say I blame you, those OLED blacks really are from another dimension. ;))

But that also highlights a problem I have: the SPX has to be more than just a media-consumption device to be compelling against the GB2 (or even Tab S6 for smaller device users).

So I guess what I'm saying is, there are 2 factors that would make me switch:

1) The SQ1 is drastically better than previous WOS chips at x32 emulation (not really too hopeful on that front)

OR

2) MS starts making a REAL push for software developers to start porting to WOA. Like fast—I want to see some big software announcements, like Creative Cloud, Chrome, Kindle, etc. all the stuff we talked about in the Event thread.

JoeS likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think the battery in the Surface pro is considerably bigger than in the X, which is also a big reason why the pro likely has the same basic dimension as past pros

@Marty I think the fact that Adobe was so prominent at the announcement is a pretty solid indication that MS is getting serious about WOA.

A big chunk of our corporate customers standard software load out consists of Office, various Creative Cloud apps and Google chrome and that's pretty much it.

6. JoeS

The shocker though is that the X and the 7 weigh the same. And if anything I expect the chipset in the X to be lighter, allowing more weight for the battery. They claim to do these tests at 150nits iirc, so the larger screen drawing more power shouldn't be the problem either. I'm curious to see real world battery tests and benchmarks in general of both systems!

ile likes this.
  7. Marty

In that case, I'd have to say the engineering on the SP7 wins out here.

As @JoeS said, bigger battery while only being 1.2mm thicker and .02-.06 lbs heavier? All with full x86 compatibility? (And cheaper, too?) SP7 it is then.

There's got to be more to the story here.

ile and JoeS like this.
  8. desertlap

Completely agree, and I'm guessing as much as anyone based on the keynote, reading other online stuff etc.
    However, I also think that the digitizer and screen assembly are significantly different than what's in the Surface pro, those could swing the weight numbers and/or if they made it notably thinner, allow room for a bigger battery.

That all being said, I ordered an X yesterday and plan to fully dissect it when it arrives :)

JoeS and Marty like this.
  9. desertlap

One last though related to all of the above. For good or bad, we are going to have to adjust our thinking with WOA devices a bit. Even basic things like cooling and mobo layout are different with ARM based devices compared to Intel.

In other words, companies wont be able to just stick an ARM based mobo in their existing systems and call it a day. I think that's why MS, who I'm sure understands this, also took the opportunity to redesign the chassis at the same time.

10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I can't get over the impression of Sugar Ray Leonard punching up in weight class against George Foreman. Possibly faster and stealthier, but if George lands one uppercut...