Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...do we really need Windows on ARM?..>>

It wouldn't be the first time that technological progress overtook a technologic situation...

dstrauss likes this.
  2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm pretty sure that's the same as the student pricing they've had from the start.. which for some reason my Microsoft account seems to think I'm eligible for (not complaining).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  3. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I guess I'll have to see Adobe cancel the CS-on-WoA project to concede the notion that it's headed for the same fate as Windows Phone. It's like my specific condition, short of MS announcing it themselves. It's definitely not cool that it has taken 6 months and counting to even get Fresco. Sometimes I check the site to make sure the SPX is still listed.

That comment the dev of that Nintendo emulator made a while back was like the perfect nightmare for the WoA fan, though, lol. He says "we don't think it has the marketshare," but then someone goes and fan-translates it, and even does it fairly easily if I'm not mistaken.

4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Student pricing is 10% off, whereas this deal corresponds to 20% off. So better, but still not amazing imo.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

'WOA 2.0' is referring to the sandboxed architecture of UWP being applied to x86 apps, making the Neo feel much more akin to using the SPX, even though it has an x86 processor.

To me, it's a hint that MS has already decided to completely phase out the desktop architecture, with 'Core OS' being the goal, and WOA and 10X, steps along the way.

One anecdotal ray of hope I came across while browsing the Affinity forums, was there actually does seem to be developer interest, but they are just waiting for a smooth path to port existing programs. WinUI 3, the unified app framework for 10/10X, promises to be that in 2020 (with Mark Ingram, the Affinity lead dev, being the first to comment).

Basically, I'd only start worrying if either the Neo gets seriously delayed or it releases without any major developer announcements. This very long public beta period for the Duo and Neo, is evidence this isn't 'just another Surface release' for MS. They are betting big this time. ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    dstrauss and neongolden like this.
  6. neongolden

I just had to mention I only found out last night that Celsys is no longer going to update 32-bit CSP. Personally, it's fine because I basically have what I need already do my work, and I'm just really glad I got that UI update, but meh y'know...

Presumably if even WinUI 3 doesn't convince them to support WoA, the 64-bit emulator will likely get us back on board later down the road. And that's another thing: I'd have to hear they stopped working on the emulator, along with Adobe quitting ;)

7. neongolden

Well, it turns out that staircasing issue from a while back is pretty bad. Sorry for the spread of misinformation. It's like how I tend to procrastinate on cleaning my glasses, especially at work, until I start getting a minor headache from all the dust.

Check out these awful brush strokes: [​IMG]

My favorite brush that I use like 70% of the time actually does not change size based on pressure (only opacity), so that's the main reason I was able to ignore it for so long, but it's like the glasses analogy above. It's affecting opacity as well even if it's not as readily noticeable, and it finally dawns on me that, man, this actually isn't a great drawing experience.

I'm glad I still had my old 2016 MSP16, even with the questionable screen. My SPX is now shelved until this is resolved.

Steve S and Marty like this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Don't take this as gospel but Adobe already has shifted their emphasis to what they have planned to support Windows X where previously there was WOA language.

We also have very much off the record heard from some Adobe engineers that "the Pro X flopped and that there isn't nearly as much urgency internally to support it". Take that with a grain of salt as it could be both opinion, or in one case explanation for why they are shifted to different projects.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Dolphin emulator is open source and so the dev team made the changes they needed to get it to work on ARM64, they just said they weren't going to compile it and release it for ARM64. So the person who posted it literally just compiled the project in Visual Studio. I get not releasing it nightly like their other versions, but you'd think they could at least compile every 6 months or so and if the market as small as they say it wouldn't affect their bandwidth at all. But oh well.

neongolden likes this.
  10. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I just finished a bunch of Enterprise Marketing Content for Microsoft and all of it includes the Surface Pro X for Business (as well as the rest of the line-up). This includes assets targeting end-users, BDM and TDM audiences. I wrote the content on the use cases, etc..

Chris_Kez and neongolden like this.