Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Sorry folks, but I forgot probably the most IMPORTANT movie of all given our current times:

violajack and Chris_Kez like this.
  2. mgerbasio

mgerbasio Scribbler - Standard Member

JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

So the deal is $320 off, which makes it sound attractive, but then the deal turns out to be...
    "Surface Pro X 8GB/256GB + Signature Keyboard with Slim Pen for $1,249"
    which still doesn't sound all that affordable! :confused:

daddyfish likes this.
  4. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It really isn't.....especially since the Pro 7 i5/8GB/128GB Keyboard bundle is regularly around $799.....just buy the Slim Pen separate and a 128GB micro-SD card and you'll still gonna save quite a bit and get a more reliable device.

I know the Pro X is....Premium....but if they want Windows on Arm to catch on.....they need to price it more around the Surface Go price level, not the Surface Book price level. For many Windows on Arm just won't replace proper Windows......at this stage it is more of a secondary device....and it should be priced as such.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I still do not think MS is really committed to WOA. Once the Neo is in circulation, I see NO VALUE to the SPX ;ine at all. In fact, as many have pointed out here and on other sites, there are many configurations of the Surface Pro that make much more sense - and if they ever put the Surface Pro in an SPX shell, FAHGETTABOUDIT...thank you New York for a one word answer to the world's problem second only to FUBAR...

hiramkey and darkmagistric like this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The early previews of Windows X seem to show the Neo operating very much in WOA-style framework:

Heavily sandboxed x86 apps running in virtualized RDP containers—basically WOA 2.0. ;)

So in my opinion, Win10X really is Microsoft 'all-in' bet for the future of Windows.

daddyfish, djas and Chris_Kez like this.
  7. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

*IF* the Neo software is a real transformation in productivity, you are very likely correct. If Neo winds up having a bunch of kludgy workarounds between native and x86 apps - like trying to deal with files & attachments on an iPad - MS can keep Neo.

A full SPro in an SPX chassis w/ 12+ hr battery life and LTE would be a whole other thing.

dstrauss likes this.
  8. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, as long as UWP is there WOA makes sense. A successful Neo or 10x launch would only bolster UWP app support I think.

Also wouldn't WOA still have certain legacy advantages like access to registry etc. compared to 10x? (just to name an example)

9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member

So, it seems that process node really is what determines a lot of power efficiency, what with the new Ryzen CPUs/APUs doing very well. Which leads to the question: do we really need Windows on ARM? If for the same computing performance, both x86 and ARM consume roughly the same amount of power, then there's not really a need for it.

10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But that is not at all how Windows on ARM works, so I'm not sure how it'd be related. Desktop apps have full privileges and aren't sandboxed on WOA. Yes, there's an emulation layer, but WOA is like real Windows, and 10X is this severely limited virtualized thing.