Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...if you use LTE even a small bit, the radio stays in a high power state indefinitely even if you are back on WiFi …>>

I have also noticed something like this. Despite having "Microsoft manage my connectivity," the LTE link remains energized even if WiFi is present, and even if I manually set my Pro X to WiFi...

However, I have not seen 20% battery drain. Something less...

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Interesting. We hadn't noticed it until the customer asked us if we knew anything. Purely speculative on my part, but I'm sure it has to do with the much more active way that ARM in general manages power to the various cores and chipset compared to X86. It also makes me believe that it is just what they said, a bug and not a design flaw.

In the customer case, battery life is a big deal as their techs may go for multiple days without AC power so predictable battery life is key thing for them.

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Wow, that's huge! When MS finishes optimizing this device in 2023 it will have amazing battery life :p

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Zac Bowden from Windows Central tweeted suggesting to use the Spotify PWA in ARM64 Chromium Edge for better battery than the x86 UWP Spotify app. Which of course makes sense, but just wasn't even something I considered as an option.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've switched to many PWAs, I uninstalled 32bit x86 Teams and went back to the PWA version, added 4 hours of battery life back.

PWAs I'm using:

Twitter
    Facebook
    Instagram
    Spotify
    Teams

6. desertlap

7. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I just had to ask if anyone else has noticed offset pen-cursor tracking towards the edges of the screen, particularly when you hold the Slim Pen at an angle. In this sense it's pretty similar to EMR now where you kind of want to stay, I don't know, about an inch away from the screen borders. I can't remember if I saw this on my old SPX.

BTW, I got it exchanged without much hassle over that screen issue a while back, and discovered it really needed it -- the entire screen was literally sunk abnormally deep into the chassis, so I think the whole assembly may have been under inordinate pressure. I always thought it was weird how swiping was somewhat uncomfortable, the way my finger was grinding against the slightly protruding metal and speaker grills. Perhaps since we were still in that return period, they did not count it against my warranty, but rather renewed it so it started fresh from the day of the exchange - a happy outcome.

I know how ridiculous and OCD this may sound, but while I was at the store inspecting my new SPX, I put it back into the box incorrectly, so the power button was brushing against the cardboard and turning it on and off inside the box for a short portion of my trip home. I got it into my head that this could have resulted in an improper hardware calibration, but of course I don't want to try resetting the machine anytime soon, especially when the cursor tracking is still good on most of the screen.

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Mehhh, thanks if you get back to me, but simultaneously, you can forget what I said. It's such a small thing. I think the angle I was holding the slate may have had something to do with it (resting in my lap), and it's just the nature of the technology. I just took it to a different coffee shop, propped it on a table instead, and now it seems to be pretty damn good again, though still slightly offset with the pen held at extreme angles. It's not even that easy for me to take a picture of right now. There are some things you can't spend time overthinking.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

An observation: Cum updates to Windows always seem to be a bit pokey when they install, but I also seem to notice that the same cum updates install a little faster on Surface hardware like the Surface Pros (as opposed to, say, my ZBook X2). Last night, I happened to be installing the February Cum Update on my Surface Pro 7. I also happened to have my Pro X sitting next to the Pro 7 and, as is my custom, I let the Pro 7 download the update before I started my Pro X on the same update. So imagine my surprise when the Pro X finished first (i.e., restarted at the 100% completion of installation); and it wasn't a photo finish, either!

Now, one could speculate a couple of different things, here. Maybe the ARM cum update was smaller or less involved than the corresponding Intel cum update? Or maybe, as unlikely as it seems, the SQ1 processor in the Pro X is actually faster at this task than the i7?

Don't know, but it was interesting!

10. desertlap

We've seen that too and it's true even on a lower spec machine like the Galaxy Book 2. One of our partners thinks its because of a key difference in the way code is updated with ARM versus X86 which is that for all intents and purposes on ARM an update can just overwite the relevant files that are being updated whereas with x86 they have to be unloaded from memory at a minimum first and usually uninstalled as well. Also allegedly having to do with the fact that ARM windows code is already somewhat containerized already. (not sure containerized is a word BTW :) )