Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I know it's unfair, but I still got a chuckle out of "This has been a lot of praise, so let me reiterate: do not buy this computer!" :D

Marty likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah I liked that too. The tone at least is not so condescending and " I know best" like the Ars review

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Has anyone had any episodes of display strobing (display flickering) on their Pro X? I fired mine up this morning to check in on the news and weather, but when I started the weather app, the Pro X froze; no response to screen touch or to the touchpad. Shut down (long I/O press) and then started. When the Pro X came back up, still on the weather app, the display exhibited moderate strobing in the form of interlaced lines across the display that varied in brightness. Restarting had no beneficial effect; tried that twice, so simply put the Pro X back to sleep. Later this morning, the Pro X is working OK; no signs of any display misbehavior.

So I have now observed two anomalies with my Pro X. It will still occasionally enter sleep mode for no obvious reason and now this display thing. The Pro X was working OK yesterday, and I didn't do anything unusual with it this morning. Just started it up...???

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I've read a lot of Dieter's stuff over the years (going back to Palm and Treo days). Given how positive he was about the Surface Go (one of the few who said if you go in knowing the limitations, it is a joy to use), seeing this review makes me even more skeptical of the SPX in the near term, and wondering how it will fair after the release of the Neo. In fact, I can see Neo being a major disruption to Microsoft's plans for WOA - the old "unintended consequences" disaster.

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The Verge has weighed in again on the Pro X calling it the "fanciest Chromebook"...>>

I think that the commentary (I don't see it as an editorial... it's a set of follow-up comments) is pretty balanced, given that we've all had time to get acclimated to what the Pro X can and cannot do. For myself, I continue to think of the Pro X as being problematic in the following sense: It's probably 90+% adequate for my day-to-day needs but... when I really need to get something done, I reach for my Pro 7. It's simply more powerful and more trouble-free. That's my real reservation about my Pro X...

6. daddyfish

daddyfish Pen Pal - Newbie

, I think a successful Neo or Neo-clone launch/release could improve the app or pda situation on Windows which would also benefit WOA.
    A caveat with the Pro X might be that because of its high price people might want to use it as a workstation (or certain other professional programs), which it clearly is not and I am not sure if the above will fix that anytime soon. (like drivers that favor Intel over Arm etc)
    Something like a newer Asus NovaGo would make more sense than.

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

His point about the Win32 Emulation is spot on - I was using the 32bit version of Teams for Presence Integration and noticed a huge impact on battery life, uninstalled it and went back to using the PWA version and have gained 4 hours of battery life.

8. desertlap

So FYI. One of our customers found a minor bug with the Pro X that MS more or less confirmed this morning. Basically the issue is that if you use LTE even a small bit, the radio stays in a high power state indefinitely even if you are back on WiFi thus causing battery drain.

The workaround is simple, albeit a bit of a pain, which is to do shutdown and then restart. A simple restart only doesn't work, you have to precede it with a shutdown first. Will be fixed in an upcoming patch Tuesday.

9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Out of curiosity, how much drain are we talking? Ten minutes less battery life, or something more dramatic?

10. desertlap

it depends but the customer estimated about 20-25%

daddyfish likes this.