Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Are you saying that Edge Chromium is far behind Google Chrome? If so, in what aspects are they behind? Or maybe I don't want to know, because I've been pretty happy with Edge Chromium.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@JoeS Multiple issues especially from a corporate perspective. Most important is that MS still has not committed to an official release date which is a major thing that IT managers use in planning.

It's also still pretty buggy (don't even think about trying to use it with MS teams for instance) and even the beta still has large chunks of non-native code in it including some standard HTML 5 functions. (just to be clear the core engine is fully native)

OTOH it seems like MS is prioritizing things a consumer would be using versus business and that is a good thing I suppose.

PS: one of the biggest issues with the current beta that will affect anyone is that it pretty much forces the processor to run at or near top speed anytime an active page is in the foreground regardless of it's needed or not. That will for instance impact battery life though fortunately on something like the Galaxy Book 2, Samsung's own software intervenes.

Marty and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

Not sure about that given that businesses may be the most likely Pro X / WOA buyers at the current pricing!
    Ha, this PS only appeared in my reply. Thanks. Pretty appropriate, typing this from a Galaxy Book 2 in Edge Chromium! :D

4. JoeS

Best Buy now offers the base Pro X model at $100 off for a total of $900 for a 8GB/128GB model without keyboard or pen. If they take off another $300 I might actually take a look.. :rolleyes:

5. JoeS

This is going to be one heck of an in depth piece, given how long they're taking to write it!! C'mon Anand/Another, I want to hear the final word on that weird combination of moderate battery life, modest processing power, and large-ish weight!

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Joe, don't be so gushing in your praise of the SPX...retrain yourself a bit...

PS - that's why I keep hoping they don't drop the ball with the Neo...

JoeS likes this.
  7. desertlap

Yeah, I wonder if they have just given up...

I did have occasion to use a Pro X for the day Tuesday as my go was temporarily KO'ed (job hazard). My feelings about it haven't changed,,,they are so close in so many ways. The display is the best of the surface models, it feels and handles better than the regular pro, the built in LTE is great and so on. In many ways a worthy competitor to the iPad Pro 12.9

But then I had to do some things In acrobat and access and it was teeth grinding time again.

Which makes me wonder about the alleged lower cost/lower performance 7x based models that are supposed to be in the pipeline. Unless they are both a radically different form factor AND significantly cheaper, I think they are doomed before they start as any customer I know that even experimented with the Pro X was majorly disappointed.

And its 100% MS fault for positioning it as the successor to the pro line generally and not as an adjunct or targeted device for specific users or markets. I know that a few are pleased such as @jhoff80 who's use case is a great match. Using it more as true tablet and drawing extensively etc, it is a terrific tablet.

The problem is that MS STILL doesn't seem to get the tradeoffs or for that matter their own less than 100% effort, like with even making a 100% native version of edge chromium available. I was at a customer brefing last week and they are still loudly pushing the "core I 5 levels of performance" line from Qualcomm.

One of the audience participants tried to pin MS down after they made the "100's of native apps" assertion...
    Q: "Is office fully native?"
    A: "the core engines in word and excel are as well as the most used functions in outlook.."
    Q: "So what about HTML rendering in outlook messages"
    A: "It's coming soon"
    Q: "Define soon"
    A: "Its on the product roadmap for 2020..."

And so on... The guy that asked the question was the CTO for the company in question and after that exchange he got up and left grumbling about why they should purchase any surface devices going forward....

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

It's like MS is in a wilderness of its own making, and unlike others who dismiss Nadella's comment as humor: “Sometimes I say, ‘Hey, look. Should I call Windows …. Azure Edge?” I see it as the second coming of Larry Ellison's thin client mantra of the 90's - only now we have better tech and better connectivity to enforce that "big iron in the sky" (or back room in Larry's days).

Sorry I always come off so curmudgeonly (and kind of a technology luddite), but it is like the sooner we get onto your cloud driven (subscription) model, the sooner we will all be happier with the hardware limitations brought about by the lack of battery improvements - fewer electrons to change pixels than to compute on the device.

Damn, why do we need those horseless carriages when old Bessie and a buggy whip are just fine...

9. desertlap

10. JoeS

Hey, don't just gloss over that, that sounds like a fun story! :) On that note, this forum could really use a "FML - Tablet Edition" thread. :D

darkmagistric likes this.