Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Just playing with you - though I will say, I got you to be more specific as to your recommendation, so it was a pretty good ploy:D.

Edit: Correction. It caused me to focus on the recommendation that was within your original response - just a bit obscured by the wealth of details it contained. Hasn't anyone warned you about excessively detailed posts - even if they add salient information - like that guy, er, "likescomputers," or whatever he calls himself ;). (I am not worthy!)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    JoeS and dstrauss like this.
  2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

"It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma..."

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

4. dstrauss

As a former school board member, I have to say that the digital divide is real, and a LOT of kids don't have the bandwidth needed for this kind of technology - I wish MS all the success in the world in expanding connectivity.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It can but it's optional from what I understand.

BTW: The MS message and demos with One Note in education are really great. I don't know how much sales it's translated in to though as Googel is pushing really hard there as well and schools love chrome books

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...And, they are getting pens in silos!!!...>>

But not in Microsoft products... except the Pro X, of course...

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Talking about the reasons to choose the X over other devices before, one other thing that I've really discovered based on using different devices is that I am far more likely to use a device like a tablet when I can just pick it up without the keyboard and use it as a tablet. I like the Notebook 9 Pen I have a lot, but folding the keyboard back just doesn't feel as nice as being able to literally pull away the tablet part and go to it. I know it's just a mental barrier on that, but it's just how it's worked out for me in practice. Other Surface Pros have this ability too, but honestly I have never been a fan of the angular design for holding that in my hand either.

But also, the fact the Pro X is instant-on no matter how long I keep it in my bag is also another huge plus for me. And when I take it out of my bag, it's just immediately ready to go on the internet. Unlike other devices where I have to wait a few seconds for Windows to figure out what's going on.

Plus, no matter how hard I use the device it doesn't get the slightest bit warm. Again another reason that just removes the mental barriers of using it as a tablet.

dstrauss, Chris_Kez and Bishop like this.
  8. dstrauss

I still don't understand why they can't develop an S-Pen size stick to go INSIDE the device. I guess you'd have the keyboard with your 80%+ of the time, but that still's not the best answer.

9. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

desertlap and JoeS like this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well hopefully next up will be making the file manager and outlook fully native. We hear that they are.

OTOH I cant even fathom why they are still so far behind on ARM64 native Chromium based Edge. The X86 version is terrific... way faster than chrome even on Googles own apps and takes less memory too.

I know we are talking about the Pro X here, but if you are running on a lower spec machine especially something like the Surface Go, run, don’t walk to download the new Edge.