Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Return service on quibbles (or is that tribbles) - footprint of x360 is 92.53 sq in, SPX 92.66 sq in. Granted it's thinner, but not so much when you add the keyboard cover.

Marty likes this.
  2. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

my bad. Pulled the x360 15 by mistake.

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That matches up with what MS has told us with what they see as the prime competitor to the X which is specifically the iPad Pro 12.9. I’m not sure where they got the info, but they claim that office is the most used 3rd party app on the 12.9 and that the majority of iPad Pro users are also office users.

OTOH in our admittedly niche group of customers it seems to be a split between the Pro 11 and regular iPad. However both are dwarfed by the surface pro.

4. dstrauss

I can see both of MS' claims being true, especially given the screen real estate on the 12.9, but I also think your anecdotal evidence is correct. That's based on my personal experience. Despite how good Office has gotten on iOS, I just can't get done what I need to do without REAL Office on Windows. Yet, when I want the tablet experience, back to iOS I go.

I also believe this will change with Neo and perhaps even with Duo. In my experience, the 8" iPMini is much more convenient to carry and use in meetings for note taking, but the iPP11 is far better for the screen real estate. The Neo should be the next great "compromise" in the fight with the iPad...

5. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

Bingo on the limitations of Office on iOS. Neo will need a *really* compelling set of apps ...

desertlap and dstrauss like this.
  6. dstrauss

Or decent support for two screens (the Courier concept) with FULL SUPPORT for real Office, not just the UWP version.

Bishop likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Dr. @dstrauss : Can't have both; which, if you had it to do over again (I am doing for first time - yeah, still haven't gotten around to it :(), Which would you do????

Edit: By which I mean: which option would you choose in purchasing the x360 13 (not considering the SPX) ?

8. dstrauss

I would still pick OLED over LTE, but I may be an outlier now:
    1. My AT&T plan gives each line 15gb of 4g LTE tethering per month, on top of 50gb for the phone - if I go past 15gb it is severely throttled for the rest of the month (basically checking email only functionality) but no overages
    2. I am a screen snob, despite many very knowledgeable folks telling me there is no difference between 4k and FHD at this size
    I think most folks, yourself included, would be happier with full time LTE if your plan doesn't throttle you continually. In all honesty built in LTE is VERY CONVENIENT, and for $20/month I think I can still add a notebook/tablet to my family plan, but I've just decided that because I also have a separate tablet I didn't want two charges - just tether when needed.

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thank you for your thoughtful comments - which leave me as puzzled as I have been for over 60 days! (During which time, I should note, the price of the Spectre x360 13t has fallen approximately $300, and I have managed to make it through with the hobbled 2016-2018 technology I have been forced to endure while reading emails and surfing the web :p!)

10. dstrauss

How are you puzzled:
    "I think most folks, yourself included, would be happier with full time LTE if your plan doesn't throttle you continually."