Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

No, I wouldn't bite - could have gotten nearly same deal on a returned unit a few weeks ago. The reason is that for me I might as well have a Surface Go as a Surface Pro X - in fact, I'm a little put out that they refer to it as "Pro" when it so obviously is not based on restrictions and performance.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Eh, for my use it's been just as much a 'Pro' as any other device. But I do realize there are restrictions and that can differ for other people. Maybe they should've called it a 'Surface Pro for Some People X'. :cool:

The only thing it can't run that I use sometimes is most of my Steam library (lots of games are x64-only). But honestly, most of the gaming I do these days is on my Nintendo Switch anyway. But also I do have a fairly high-end gaming PC and streaming my Steam library on the Pro X works as great as anything else. It's funny because as recently as a couple years ago I might have said that a PC that doesn't have the capability to run anything in my library was a no-go. But these days things are entirely different.

Otherwise, I'm in Office (including Visio and Project, but I admittedly don't use Outlook desktop unless I absolutely have to), RDP (using the same UWP ARM64 beta version mentioned earlier), Citrix Receiver (or I guess it's called 'Workspace' these days), Edge Chromium, Paint.net, PrusaSlicer, Skype for Business, Cisco AnyConnect, WinSCP, 7-zip, VLC, and Windows Terminal... absolutely no different from any device I'd use. Any device I've connected has worked as well though I realize some printers could potentially be different.

There's some nice-to-haves that annoy the hell out of me (especially, as I've noted before, when it's Microsoft's own stuff, like the Mouse and Keyboard Center to let me customize settings for my Microsoft Surface Precision Mouse) but none of those have ended up being a dealbreaker day-to-day.

But yeah, definitely for my use has been perfectly worthy of being called a 'Pro' device.

Chris_Kez likes this.
  3. dstrauss

Now that I am a "no going back" owner of the HP Spectre x360 Late 2019 (yes children, return date expired yesterday) I would like to ask the class what the Surface Pro X brings to the table for the additional cost - obviously:
    • Always on LTE
    • Better (probably 2-3 hours) battery life
    • More tablet-like, especially without the keyboard attached
    • Better pen performance
    • A taller but narrower screen
    • Weight savings (in the neighborhood of 6 ounces with keyboard)
    For $1799 (actually paid $1699 fall sale) vs $2069 (SPX with keyboard and pen) I have:
    • i7 Ice Lake with Iris Graphics Plus (no compatibility headaches)
    • additional 512gb storage
    • Two Thunderbolt 3 ports
    • USB A and mSDXC ports
    • AMOLED 4k screen
    OK - end of sour grapes diatribe...

JoeS likes this.
  4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So, I have some potential additional information on the Pen with the new X and the differences with the older pen used on the previous pros.

First the major caveat that the info is 2nd/3rd hand as MS to my knowledge hasn't issued any definitive information to us or anybody else for that matter. OTOH, the source for this info also clued us in to the existence of the original Surface Book over three months before we saw it anywhere else.

So that said... Apparently the higher variable sampling rate that we and others have noted with X pen is a side effect of technology that ultimately didn't make the cut for formal release of the Pro X for various reasons including most importantly, reliability. Apparently MS original plan was to incorporate some fairly innovative new pen tech to go with the Pro X launch from a couple of newish vendors, but was scrapped fairly late in the rollout process.

Our sources say this pen tech will now probably make its first appearance now with the NEO. It's also possible/probable that MS will offer the new pen separately at the time of the Neo's release. aka something like an X Pen 2

The headlining features are best in class precision as well as additional functionality akin to what Samsung does with their S-Pen.

Again this is 2nd and 3rd hand rumors so take it as such, but I will say that it makes a lot of sense and lines up with a lot of other info floating around about revisions to Wacom etc.

5. dstrauss

Are Neo and Duo destined to be Batman and Robin for this decade...stay tuned...same MS time, same MS station

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

hmm....interesting....but kind of sucky for me......I bought the Slim Pen to use with my Pro 5......while I’ve have been enjoying the pen more then the regular surface pen......part of what made me plunk down for it was I was relatively certain it was the immediate future of the Surface Pen. Given the Neo/Duo were demoed with the Slim Pen....and presumably the hopefully upcoming Pro 8 refresh would borrow from the Pro X’s design with a similar keyboard charging dock.......given how likely I will get a Pro 8 or the Neo....I felt the Slim Pen was a safe investment. But if they end up releasing a technically superior pen with all kinds of advancements and functionality.....I’ll be pissed.

7. dstrauss

The story of my (computer) life...

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Bishop likes this.
  8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yes, but isn't the whole art of dstraussing riding the crest of return cycles, so you can constantly stay on the latest wave in tech? (and entertain us all while doing it :p)

JoeS likes this.
  9. dstrauss

[​IMG]

Risk vs reward?

As of this moment, I am comfortably using x360 and an iPad Mini 5 for portable note taking...

10. Bishop

Bishop Scribbler - Standard Member

It's also a smaller footprint in area. thinner and I've come to prefer the 3:2 screen ratio.

Here's where I would quibble with your comparison: Straw man argument. Your goal is a full capability driver - one PC to rule them all. SPX won't be that for you or those users; I completely get where you are.

For the less intensive users or mobile minded among us who still need Windows to function between desktop sessions, SPX can scratch our itch for no more $ than the more limited iPad Pro. [INSERT Ranting diatribe about attempted OSs that are the children of lesser deities but still can't drive enterprise software.] If our group is giving points, the LTE and battery life aren't just on the list, those two may be the list - with a quantum leap in pen experience as icing.

Also, one only gets to the $2K SPX by maxing out specs - which a light/mobile user doesn't need. I did buy the 16GB version SPX. I may have paid a "fear tax" against possible performance or emulation drag on the ARM chip in buying the extra 8GB; but I've never regretted having extra memory on any Windows machine. Even so and with keyboard/new pen bundle, I paid the same as I would've for a cellular iPad Pro 12.9, plus keyboard, plus pencil.

So, in the words of Fleetwood Mac, "We can go our own way" and get popcorn ready to watch the Neo/Duo show. We can even be the two muppets in the balcony:

[​IMG]