Surface Pro X Discussion Thread (October 2019)

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by JoeS, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So, in Europe they have consumer advocacy groups. And meanwhile in the America, you have companies helping other mega-corporations to stiff the customer.

Ah capitalism...doing what capitalism does best. :p

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So I don't have any details yet and the rumor is a bit vague , but apparently some long term participants of the MS insider program are getting a "special offer" on the base level Pro X of 35% off the regular price.

It appears to be an invite only , one device only type deal and includes the keyboard pen combo. Long story short double check your emails from MS and you might have an offer in it.

We have a business partner in Singapore that is aware of two customers that were offered it.

JoeS likes this.
  3. Chris D.

Chris D. Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I didn't really mean/try to scam anything/anyone - I just thought it was a pretty interesting outcome. And personally, I hope I don't have to return it this time (or maybe I'd sell it if need be at the $250 discount price??).

JoeS likes this.
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Interesting. I wonder what the motivation is. If it's intended to move significantly more units without admitting that a price cut is needed, they would need to reach out to a LOT of insiders. Or maybe they hope that happy insiders will make for a good word of mouth campaign?

With the 35% discount it does become a lot more palatable. $825 for the base model with pen and keyboard, that seems about right, perhaps even $75 lower than what I'd consider reasonable.

[Edit: that assumes the discount applies to the keyboard bundle as well. If it doesn't the total comes out to $920, which is OK]

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I pretty certain it's $920 for the bundle in the US if it's offered here

As to motivation, I suspect that MS may be targeting those they see as "influencers " so it may not be a wide spread offer.

That being said they did this in the days of the Surface Pro 4 and also with the original surface book. In my case they offered me a SP4 at 35% off. I think the reason I was selected was that I was very active on the insider program due to my job at the time. Likewise for the Surface Book which a peer got a similar deal as he was working for a 3rd party vendor that manufactures a bunch of Surface related peripherals .

So that all being said , MS, If you offer again I might take you up on it :)

BTW: The main restriction at the time on the SP4 I bought was that I couldn't give it away or sell it for 18 months.

lovelaptops and JoeS like this.
  6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Well obviously all Notable Members at TPCR should be looped into this promo. Maybe with some help from @jnjroach this can happen?

darkmagistric likes this.
  7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Not sure I have that much pull :) They are most likely targeting those that are active in Feedback and Anwsers.microsoft.com Insider Community.

The team seems to focus on 1st Party Communities now and the Engineering team still has a presence at Reddit.

JoeS likes this.
  8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Mr. Not Notable here: ran through my Inbox and no mention from Microsoft of this sweet deal...their loss...:rolleyes::p;)

JoeS, Bishop and lovelaptops like this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Can't sell or give it away? Sounds more communist than capitalist. "We have a great deal to offer you but, just know that in case we're bamboozling you into buying a crappy product that we can't sell, you're stuck with a white elephant and you're still out $1,000." After 18 mos it will be worthless! I realize that was then, and this deal may not be the same, but to think that MS thought that was cool 3 years ago, or ever - wow!

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

It's certainly your gain - not that you would bite on this one - right?